New/used pool finally up, water testing results

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
Ta Dah, pool is up, pump filter running, new skimmer-return installed, no leaks, solar cover in use, did wall and floor brushing.

Last week I didn't have the filter and pump running due to needed a new skimmer and gasket. All I could do was test and use sump pump to recirculate chemicals, I tested 2 x a day. One error adding washing soda and white cloud. I did a back wash and rinse of the filter.

I ran pump on high about 3 hours but didn't want to leave on all night till I make sure it's a well behaved pump.

So now I have things better can you make some suggestions?

todays results
6.5 FC ( last night was a 2 FC so added 34 oz bleach)
0 CC
7.8 pH
150 TA
35 CYA ( added CYA last Monday)
550 CH ( yes our water is very high calcium)
Temp 75 degrees

This past week I have added Muriatic acid and had he pump areating to help the cloudiness. It's better but still cloudy white.

Pump was on high a bit this am and now I have it on low.

So how do these numbers look?

Your numbers look quite good actually. :goodjob: Make sure the PH doesn't go any higher (aeration will do that). A little acid should bring PH and TA down a bit. Maybe to 7.5 and 120-ish respectively. But really, you are doing well. Keep it going, and enjoy!

Your pH is going to get out of range pretty quick with that TA, so I'd lower it to 7.2 with acid, and skip aeration. Just get it down and allow it to rise at its own pace. If the cloudiness is caused at all by the high CH and the high TA and the high pH, it should improve.

An overnight loss test will rule out algae. Just set the alarm for before sunrise and check it and then go back to bed.

The pH has been hitting 7.8 some times and I had been adding Muriatic acid. I'll get the pH down

Question what happens if pH gets high, does it have to do with the algae bloom is next, the higher pH creates the environment for algae?

The pool was so nice and clear before the mishap of washing soda and the white cloud.

Before the new pump/skimmer/filter came online I used the sump pump to mix and areate. That is offline. But where do I shoot the return eye ball? I guess keep it low ( not bubble the surface) Should it go toward the skimmer or away from skimmer. I have not tried the ping pong ball test to see how the water circulates.

Thanks. With out this forum this pool NEVER ever would have happened.

No. The pH rising has nothing to do with algae, but it can cause Calcium to precipitate. Essentially, superfine chalk dust in your water. Lowering pH dissolves the precipitate and clears the water some. Dead algae can also cause cloudiness, but lowering pH won't clear that up.

If you want to aerate to drive pJH up, point the return eyeball so it makes ripples in the water. If you don't, point it downwards. Whether you try to get the flow to go this way or that will just take experimenting. Styrofoam packing peanuts are cheaper than ping pong balls if you you have some lying around in a box somewhere. Empty [lastic soda bottle or water bottles are also cheap and might be lying around.

Sadly I killed the pump : ( I thought the extension cord was heavy duty enough, not probably. So I am back to using the sump pump to circulate chemicals and told my son no more swimming.

IF I can get an electrician in to hard wire the pool I have hope of saving this water if not the trees are going to love more water.

Having people swimming will help to circulate the water. Keep adding bleach and muriatic acid as needed to maintain FC and PH. Brush right after adding chemicals and swim.

I would use muriatic acid to lower PH, not PH down or dry acid, it is cheaper and works fine.

Having people swimming will help to circulate the water. Keep adding bleach and muriatic acid as needed to maintain FC and PH. Brush right after adding chemicals and swim.

I would use muriatic acid to lower PH, not PH down or dry acid, it is cheaper and works fine.
Good plan. Swimmers will ensure the chemicals get well-dispersed. You just want it spread out enough with the brush that no one swims into an acid cloud.

Oh my. I'm sorry the pump died. When you get the pump up n running or replaced, point the return away from the skimmer to where the water isn't breaking the surface since your pH and TA are so high. As previously noted, add your chemicals and mix well by enjoying the pool.

Do you have any pics? I'd love to see your new pool.

So Richard, Casey, do you think I can let people swim? even with out a Hayward pump? If no Hayward pump there is no sand filter. I only have a small 1/6 HP submersible sump pump to help mix chemicals. SO I just keep up with the bleach and muriatic acid? Test add mix test etc ? My son and I would be happy but no dog in the pool!

I can't get an electrician for 10 days and then it's ten more days to do the install that's IF the landscaper can did the trench for conduit.

I think the pump is fixable............

I think if I didn't have this stupid autoimmune disease all this would not be so hard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool doesn't care how the chemicals get mixed, whether its by the pump circulating it, an outboard motor clamped to the wall, a sump pump, a kid with a canoe paddle, kids swimming,m or you with a brush. Sand, grit, bugs, leave, dead skin, none of it will get filtered out, so it may start looking yucky. But it's better than going green. It may end up looking like used bathwater but it will be sanitary! If it starts getting too gross, no one's going to want to swim in it anyway, but as long as they want to, I see no reason to keep anyone out. If you have some illness, you may want to stay out just to be safe.

Thanks Richard, I have tons of bacteria here on the farm, that stuff doesn't make you sick, well not me. The goats( house trained) come in often for a cookie from their closet. There's a wild baby rabbit ( Injured-dog brought it home) who runs around a bit. A little bath water wont be to bad. I'll let my son know. It's actually looking clearer. Maybe the MA help get the white cloud under control or all the ?calcium settle to the bottom.

I dropped off the motor to a highly recommended spa place. He will do a free!!!!!! estimate and thinks it may be a warranty problem but the shipping would cost a lot. He will check in 2 days.

Pump is back from motor hospital $50, he said it was a bent connection and I feel if was my doing when I put it back together after messing with it. Motor man felt it was not put together with proper contacts or the voltage dropped in extension cord when freezer came on? He felt the extension cord I have is adequate for the motor ( he works on this brand of motor all the time) , keep it on low and take the freezer off. My husband has a meter that we can plug it into and monitor the voltage till the electrician to dig and connect a permanent line. Well I did get free shipping on all the pool stuff but i'm still not happy Hayward pumps are not to sturdy. Live and learn. I'll reinstall the pump to night.

Casey here is a photo of the pool. i just put the gravel back around the pool then had the electrician out and say "bonding" and realized oh dear I or he has to move the gravel allllll back out.

IMG_1941_zpsoffyyhnn.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

I just added a step to the plastic steps. We hope to add a deck in place of plastic steps.

IMG_1942_zpslcvp1jay.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

pool testing is going well even with very minimal pump use, of course there's some sand that needs vacuuming but the water is crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.