This is my introductory post. Like many before me, I'm sure, it's about the chlorine disappearing act!
First off let me say that this forum has a wealth of knowledge and I really appreciate all of the help. It was overwhelming at first, but I quickly realized that for TFPC, no matter what, you need to SLAM it properly to solve it.
I'm on my 5th attempt to get stable chlorine. The current attempt being the SLAM.
Getting right into it...
Water is clear.
Algae very little visible on a few leaves floating around and on light dirt at liner seams.
First 3 attempts: (CYA 64)
1. HTH Extra Super Shock 16oz evening. Result (OTO): TC 0 in the morning
2. HTH Extra Super Shock 16oz evening. Result (OTO): TC 0 in the morning
3. HTH Extra Super Shock 32oz evening. Result (pool shop): TC 0 in the morning
4. Plain household bleach 4.25% Sodium Hypochlorite 3.5gal (18ppm based on Pool Calculator with estimated CYA 58)
i. Vacuum to waste
ii. Replace ~10% water
iii. Shock evening
Result (OTO): TC >5 in the morning, TC 0 in the evening
5th and current attempt is to SLAM!
However, I cannot get a FAS-DPD kit this weekend, they are not readily available in Canada. I need to do this with Aquachek strips that only go to 10ppm.
I know, this is not ideal, but I have hatched a plan to stick with the Level & Maintain as best as I can:
I'm using the same bleach, 3.1gal (17ppm based on Pool Calculator with pool shop tested CYA 55)
What I'm doing to get some sort of sanity out of the test strips, is to run a bucket test in parallel with the pool SLAM.
I filled a bucket with 2gal tap water and 2gal pool water. The idea is that this bucket will have a CYA of 27.5 and will only need 13ppm to SLAM it - this brings it almost down into the test strip range.
The fact that there is half the pool water, half the contaminants and half the CYA, everything might just balance out
Last night I started the process.
I put 3.1gal in the pool and 1tsp in the bucket.
This morning's results:
They are both about 9ppm loss overnight! Great!
I put 1.6gal in the pool and just over 1/2tsp in the bucket, to replace 9ppm in both.
After 2 hours, we are still off the chart on both. I will bring the levels back up when I see the bucket go to 9ppm or less (testing every 2 hours).
I'll update after the next bleaching.
Thanks for reading and any comments on this "unorthodox" test method