Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Pig Mat to remove oil from pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coppell TX

Question Using Pig Mat to remove oil from pool?

Follow up to my previous post: Extreme Oil Cleanup Help Needed

Pig Mats were recommend to me there and in similar incidents. Now that I know more about them I've also got some questions:

There are regular pig mats to absorb all liquids (oil and water), and oil-only. Will either one work? Or should I be looking for the oil-only to use in the pool?

Once I've got the mats, is there a preferred way to use them? Do you just lay them on the surface were oil is seen? Cut them and put them in the skimmer?

Any experiences you can share would be helpful.

Thanks again!
    Charlie M.
    Coppell TX
    32.3K Gal. Gunite/PebbleTec pool w/spa, Sta-rite Max-E-Pro with 2HP main motor, 1 hp booster, 48 sq ft DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Using Pig Mat to remove oil from pool?

look for oil only and just float them in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Using Pig Mat to remove oil from pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    look for oil only and just float them in the pool.
    Let them float, and when you pull them out slide them onto a baking sheet or something similar first so oil doesn't escape back into the pool with the runoff as you lift them out of the water.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!