Two weeks ago my pool started to turn cloudy. I had no idea why b/c it was perfectly clear and the little crappy sticks the store sells said everything looked good. The CYA started to go higher but the store told me not to worry about that. One week (this week) it started to turn green. On Tuesday I found this sight and learned that the two chlorine sources I use are the most likely cause. The pucks add CYA and the powder adds calcium according to the Pool School info. I then realized after looking at your chlorine and CYA chart that I was off the map on acid and that the algae was a result of too much acid causing the chlorine to be ineffective. Also, learned that the initial cloudiness was likely caused by too much calcium from the powdered chlorine.
So I decided to quit listening to the pool store (they told my wife that everyone seems to have the same problem this year and offered now advice) and started to learn from your site. I immediately learned that I needed a proper test kit and got the TF100. I then also started removing water about 1000-1500 gallons at a time. The owner of the pool (I am renting) said the pool is 30k gallons but from taking rudimentary measurements (also after adding my first set of liquid chlorine), I think the pool is actually 20k gallons. After I got the test kit yesterday, I did the initial shock in the afternoon maybe an hour before sunset.
CYA: 55-60 (after 3 water changes of about 1000-1500 gals each)
Based on 55 CYA and 30k gallons, I added 5 gals of liquid chlorine (SMART brand; 10%) to the pool. I also added ~1000 gals to the pool overnight
At night time i tested again:
FC: 37 (i looked at the calculator and this numbers is consistent with a 16000 gallon pool; but the water was still low so I estimate the pool is 20k)
Tested again this morning (pool is now full):
FC: 36 (i expected lower since i was still filling the pool and thought the CyA was high enough to start killing algae)
Sorry for the long story but I wanted to make sure I give you a good back ground.
I just would like some smart guys to tell me if I am on the right track. I was a little disappointed that the algae was still a dark green this morning, was hoping for a little more milky look as it dies off. I hope it is just a matter of patience since my CYA was above 100 when I started (according to stick test I didn't get my TF100 until Friday). I have my boys brushing twice a day and skimming when needed.
By the way I bought a Gardena Water Flow Meter, http://www.amazon.com/GARDENA-WATER-...dp/B007NHRSOYm on amazon and it was awesome in helping me keep 3 gal/min rate (my well pump fills my tank at 5 gal/min) over night to fill the pool without killing my well pump.
I have attached a image of the pool from this morning before my son brushed it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.