Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Digital Timers to Replace Mechanical Intermatic

1. Back To Top    #1

Digital Timers to Replace Mechanical Intermatic

Does anybody have any experience with replacing the mechanical Intermatic timers with digital timers like this one? After a lot of sleuthing to find my phantom electrical consumption I discovered that the mechanical timers burn 80W apiece. The Intermatic specifications claim 3W max consumption, but when I shut down the breakers with these timers on them the power use drops by 80W. With two on my pump pad and one for landscape lighting (which as a 120V model and uses 40W), these things represent over 30% of my total power consumption (they use about as much as running my single speed pump for 4 hours a day). They have got to go, so I've been looking at digital timers and wanted to check with you guys first.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Digital Timers to Replace Mechanical Intermatic

Hey SBC. Ihave never used the timer in your post but the price is good! The Intermatic T-104m is the standard around here. You live about 40 miles north of me so I would appreciate input on how it works out on your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Sbcpool

There is something wrong with your wiring OR there is something else in parallel with them on the same breaker. Intermatic does not consume much at all and it is a fact.
    I had just one time trouble with it when the gear teeth wore off on the motor and it stopped rotating the clock.

Intermatic is very reliable and robust which cannot necessarily be said of today's electronics.
    Check what else you have . 80W would melt the motor they use.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by morzh View Post
    Sbcpool

There is something wrong with your wiring OR there is something else in parallel with them on the same breaker.
    When it stops raining I'm going to disconnect the pump from the circuit and see if the 80W continues. I don't think there's anything else on the circuit since it's a 220V circuit and I don't have 220V outlets. I am wondering if they wired the pad with a 220V circuit and then ran a neutral back to the breaker box so they could wire up the 110V outlets on the pad using one line of the 220V and a neutral. Even then, there is nothing plugged into the outlets. There is nothing else electrical on the pad except a blower and the pool lights. Could it be the transformer for the pool lights? That would be an awful waste of power.

There's nothing on anywhere to consume 80W. That's what's making me crazy. I've unplugged everything in the house and turned off all the lights and I still see 200 - 220W at the meter. That's when I started switching breakers off and found the circuits with these timers eating power. If there is another load on the circuit it can only a ground fault with a poor connection to ground so that only 300mA makes it through.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, trace it but I can practically guarantee it is not your timer.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's the same timer I just ordered, except I won't be using it for my pump. The intermatics supply line power only and can't be used as a dry contact relay and the GE in your link looks like it can be. I'll be using mine to set a timer to my Aqua logic external interlock to prevent anything from running during our five hours of peak energy billing. Before getting my controller though I liked the Intermatic. Simple, solid, and reliable. Something else has to be using power on that circuit. How did you determine you were even using 80W ?
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreSun View Post
    How did you determine you were even using 80W ?
    The power meter is digital and shows real-time consumption. Flipping that breaker drops the consumption by 80W (0.08kW).

8. Back To Top    #8

I just ordered an Intermatic P1353ME
    to replace my dual mechanicals (pump and boost pump for vacuum). I'll let you know how the upgrade goes when it gets here.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    to replace my dual mechanicals (pump and boost pump for vacuum). I'll let you know how the upgrade goes when it gets here.
    Thank you. I'd be interested to hear about it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Let us know how it goes. Just told my wife about this, her response, "um, I want that!". Would love a wireless system, also attached to my heater, but that seems a little more complicated.
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

We're posting some peripheral info here but getting back to OP's question is interesting....."Do the intermatic mechanical timers use 80w"?

I don't know that answer but would find it interesting.....it sure seems excessive.

sbcpool, have you spoken with intermatic tech support to see what they say? Not about your particular wiring but about their units power consumption in general.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

If your old mechanical controller is not the cause, something is wrong with your kW meter or your wiring.
    I would test the kW reading without the controller connected, and the breaker on/off.
    Just curious, what kind of kW meter do you have? Or are you reading your main house meter?

On a side note, do you wonder why that GE digital timer is so cheap?
    You get what you pay for in most cases!
    There are likely fewer circuits, or cheaper components built into the board to protect the controller from frying.
    I would pass on that cheapo GE control.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mgarf33 View Post
    Just curious, what kind of kW meter do you have? Or are you reading your main house meter?
    It's the utility's meter at the breaker panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    sbcpool, have you spoken with intermatic tech support to see what they say? Not about your particular wiring but about their units power consumption in general.
    Not yet. I'm not thoroughly convinced that it's the timer yet.

14. Back To Top    #14

As I noted earlier, if it were your timer, 80W is plenty of power to get something in there VERY hot and maybe smoking, so if you feel around you will see the heat somewhere, especially in a closed box, open it and you will feel a puff of a quite hot air. 80W is lots os power.
    If your box is cool (shade it for a while from the sun and see if it heats on its own) and there is no smell....no it is not.
    But if it is (which I doubt) it is being defective and this is not a reason to choose the other type. They are indeed very low in consumption.

15. Back To Top    #15

according to intermatic the motors use 3W. Motors
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida