SWG and shock confusion

Jun 17, 2015
salemburg NC
Good morning all.

Trying to clear up cloudy water.

Currently my CYA is at 35.

The chart only shows shock level for high CYA readings for the salt water system ... why is that? Do I have to have my CYA that high and do I really have to shock my pool differently because of salt water?

Started to become very frustrated with this honestly. [emoji52]

Any advice is appreciated.

10'000 Gallon with Salt Water System

Ok so it's ok to go by the non SWG chart then.
Yes I'm familiar with the slam process ... been reading, studying and learning every bit of this that I can.
But was just unsure about the chart ... for the slam (so use to saying shock) levels.

Been dealing with all this for about a month. Started with green swampy water .... then yellow mustard algae that was the worst to get rid of ... all because I was switching over to salt water system and I didn't have enough chlorine in it while salt was dissolving and a few mishaps on my part were included as well.

Sounds like you are all set now. One more SLAM to clear the algae and then maintain your chlorine level from there. Be sure to brush all the little nooks and crannies to expose all algae to the chlorine.

I personally am no fan of algae and avoid it like the plague by keeping my chlorine levels a couple ppm above target at all times, 8-9 for 70 CYA saltwater. One SLAM is enough for me! :)

Sounds like you are all set now. One more SLAM to clear the algae and then maintain your chlorine level from there. Be sure to brush all the little nooks and crannies to expose all algae to the chlorine.

I personally am no fan of algae and avoid it like the plague by keeping my chlorine levels a couple ppm above target at all times, 8-9 for 70 CYA saltwater. One SLAM is enough for me! :)
Thank you so much pooldv. Definitely a good reminder to brush the pool ... something we haven't probably been very diligent about. Read your message and then sent the hubby out to brush it really good.
How do you keep your FC level so high?

You won't want to do do it until after you complete the SLAM, but once done you can bring your CYA up and lose less FC to sunlight. You SWG can then keep up better and/or run less and extend its life. That's just the "rough" details though, others can help you with the math and specifics when you're done with the SLAM.

My CYA is TOO high still at 130, but that combined with being in a screen enclosure I only lose 1 ppm FC a day if there is no bather load. My SWG is at only 20% for 5 hours a day and my FC steadily climbs unless the pool is being used. With that CYA I'd be miserable if I had to SLAM it though. Years of pucks were used before I moved in but having only the SWG now it's slowly falling. It started at 180 :(

Go

The chart only shows shock level for high CYA readings for the salt water system ... why is that? Do I have to have my CYA that high and do I really have to shock my pool differently because of salt water?

For NON-SWG pools, the recommendation is to keep the CYA level lower, like 30-50 depending on sun exposure and such.
But SWG pools work in a different way with a more constant low level chlorine production, so the TFP recommendation is to run the CYA at a higher level, 70-80ish as a specific way to maintain the SWG chlorine.

Sooooooo....the CYA/Chlorine chart is in two parts- NON-SWG and SWG. But at NO time do you want to let your CYA get out of control and too high, as the only way to lower the CYA is to do water replacements. Ugh!

I hope this helps explain things?

For NON-SWG pools, the recommendation is to keep the CYA level lower, like 30-50 depending on sun exposure and such.
But SWG pools work in a different way with a more constant low level chlorine production, so the TFP recommendation is to run the CYA at a higher level, 70-80ish as a specific way to maintain the SWG chlorine.

Sooooooo....the CYA/Chlorine chart is in two parts- NON-SWG and SWG. But at NO time do you want to let your CYA get out of control and too high, as the only way to lower the CYA is to do water replacements. Ugh!

I hope this helps explain things?
Thank you ... I understand better now. [emoji3]
Starting to feel a bit more hopeful now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning all.

Trying to clear up cloudy water.

Started to become very frustrated with this honestly. [emoji52]

Any advice is appreciated.

During the SLAM, your pool IS a bleach pool. You're chlorinating with bleach. So use that chart for shock level.

When you get the water sparkling, then you can raise CYA if you wish. You'll lose less FC to the sun and the SWG won't have to work as hard which will extend its life.

Thank you so much pooldv. Definitely a good reminder to brush the pool ... something we haven't probably been very diligent about. Read your message and then sent the hubby out to brush it really good.
How do you keep your FC level so high?

Once you finish the SLAM it will be easier to maintain your FC. Raising your CYA will help reduce loss to the sun. And having NO algae in your pool using chlorine will help.

I run the SWG a little more to keep it up. And I add bleach sometimes to help also. Especially on big swim weekends, big pollen times, etc. Anytime I notice my FC drop a point or two I will bump it with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.