Initial Test Values with TF-100 Kit - Questions

GregoryRG

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Scituate, RI
Received my TF-100 kit today. Tested this evening prior to adjusting anything:

1. FC: 2.5 (was 12 this AM, but just added the CYA this PM after sampling)
2. pH: 7.2
3. TA: 50
4. CH: 60

I added bleach to drive FC back up to the 12 to 15 range as I wait for the CYA to dissolve. Will be checking FC twice daily to keep it where it needs to be (hopefully).

I added 49 oz (by volume) of CYA (targeting 70 initially - have a SWG) - I split it more or less equally between two nylon knee-highs, tied off to the pool frame/wall, and submerged about a foot below the waterline.

I added borax to bring pH up to 7.6, but may have overshot a bit (maybe to 7.8 or so) as I just realized I had the wrong TA value entered (calculator was set to 80 rather than my measured 50). I added 16 oz (by volume) of 20 mule team borax.

I will measure/test CC after I run a OCLT tomorrow night.

Water is very clear, with minor precipitates. Wad of white paper towel stuffed in the skimmer for 12 hours is still white and there is no staying, etc. Pump pressure is still right about nominal at the initial set-up. I plan on putting in some DE over the weekend.

So it appears my TA and CH are close to where they should be. I'll bring up my TA with some baking soda tomorrow. Should I be bringing up the CH? It's at the floor of the range for vinyl.

Thanks,

Bob

Hello Bob. Well, based on your latest readings and actions already taken, here are my suggestions:
- No need to worry about CH with your vinyl pool
- Your water is clear and new so, were you just adjusting all your numbers for normal operations, or are you conducting a SLAM? I ask because your FC doesn't really need to be all the way up to 12-15 all day. That's more of a SLAM level. But if your thought is to keep it that high as protection from sun burn-off to never drop below your target, I understand. I suppose it won't hurt anything being up that high until your CYA and SWG kicks-in, just wanted to through that out there. :)

All-n-all Bob, it looks like you have a good handle on things. Keep up the good work, and let us know if you have any other concerns. Have a great day.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, my thoughts were to keep the protection high until the CYA kicks in, and then have the SWG take over. I wasn't trying to SLAM it, just wanted to ensure my FC didn't bomb out like it did the first day when I thought I had enough to get through a very sunny day (85f) with no CYA in the water at that time....I was wrong.

I checked this AM and had:

FC: 15.5 (add bleach after dark last night)
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8 - maybe 8.0 - my eyes aren't what they used to be.( but yup, a bit too much borax the night before)
CYA: 20 (I squeezed the socks I hung my CYA in several time last evening and a few this am, before sampling about and hour after that with filter on).
TA: 60
CH: 60

The day was pretty overcast, with some sun here and there, and I had the pool covered for a couple of hours while I cut the lawn. Looking forward to tomorrow AM's readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.