Pet Peeve - Netiquette

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Is this a pet peeve for anyone else? Don't you hate it when you e-mail someone for some specific purpose like business and without permission, they add you to their mass e-mail list and start sending you e-mails on totally unrelated topics? They have subject titles like "This is so cute - I hope it will put a smile on your face" - and then it's pictures of puppies or something.

I've had a number of people do this to me lately and I find it very annoying. Normally I would just block them accept you never know if they may need to contact you for something relevant. If you happen to be one of those people who thinks everyone you know needs to be copied when you get e-mailed something you think is funny or interesting... take a tip from me and be sure to ask permission first before you add people to your e-mail list - it's just good manners.

BTW, this has nothing to do with anyone on TFP - just a rant. :rant:

The real downside to this is that people send long lists of email addresses out when they do this which makes your address available to spammers.

I got to the point where I have three email accounts.

1. For my family and things related to large corporations and my accounts (I make sure I check the do not send extra
information fields when I sign-up) :-D

2. Was my old core email, but now its for everyone not in item #1 :)

3. One for all the garbage stuff for when you want access to a site or some information and they require an email for membership. TFP got my core account, please dont spam me now!! :(

Maybe only once a week do I get garbage now in my core account. When I do my spam filter takes care of it for future. If it was me I would do what I did and make a new core account and give that out to only your immediate circle and can still check in from time to time with your old one. :idea:

Me too...three accounts. One general, one family and one that was from my political days. That is the one that I get the most junk in, and I can't believe people still don't know to BCC to mass emails. Of course my political email address book didn't get to the size it did, without the assistance of these folk.... :mrgreen:

You should check out mailinator.com It's a free mail site that simply accepts mail to any name, and allows it to be seen via web page for anyone requesting it. It gives new utility to "throwaway email account".

frustratedpoolmom said:
Me too...three accounts. One general, one family and one that was from my political days. That is the one that I get the most junk in, and I can't believe people still don't know to BCC to mass emails. Of course my political email address book didn't get to the size it did, without the assistance of these folk.... :mrgreen:

Political days? You're not one of those rough and tumble Chicago ward bosses, are you? :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.