Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pet Peeve - Netiquette

1. Back To Top    #1

Pet Peeve - Netiquette

Is this a pet peeve for anyone else? Don't you hate it when you e-mail someone for some specific purpose like business and without permission, they add you to their mass e-mail list and start sending you e-mails on totally unrelated topics? They have subject titles like "This is so cute - I hope it will put a smile on your face" - and then it's pictures of puppies or something.

I've had a number of people do this to me lately and I find it very annoying. Normally I would just block them accept you never know if they may need to contact you for something relevant. If you happen to be one of those people who thinks everyone you know needs to be copied when you get e-mailed something you think is funny or interesting... take a tip from me and be sure to ask permission first before you add people to your e-mail list - it's just good manners.

BTW, this has nothing to do with anyone on TFP - just a rant.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pet Peeve - Netiquette

The real downside to this is that people send long lists of email addresses out when they do this which makes your address available to spammers.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Just as an aside... When sending out email, if you enter email addresses into the Bcc: field then none of the recipients can see or copy them.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

I got to the point where I have three email accounts.

1. For my family and things related to large corporations and my accounts (I make sure I check the do not send extra
    information fields when I sign-up)

2. Was my old core email, but now its for everyone not in item #1

3. One for all the garbage stuff for when you want access to a site or some information and they require an email for membership. TFP got my core account, please dont spam me now!!

Maybe only once a week do I get garbage now in my core account. When I do my spam filter takes care of it for future. If it was me I would do what I did and make a new core account and give that out to only your immediate circle and can still check in from time to time with your old one.
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

5. Back To Top    #5

Me too...three accounts. One general, one family and one that was from my political days. That is the one that I get the most junk in, and I can't believe people still don't know to BCC to mass emails. Of course my political email address book didn't get to the size it did, without the assistance of these folk....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, privacy is a whole different issue. Even when they use the bcc function, it still ticks me off that they use a professional contact for personal use - especially for junk mail!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

You should check out mailinator.com It's a free mail site that simply accepts mail to any name, and allows it to be seen via web page for anyone requesting it. It gives new utility to "throwaway email account".
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Me too...three accounts. One general, one family and one that was from my political days. That is the one that I get the most junk in, and I can't believe people still don't know to BCC to mass emails. Of course my political email address book didn't get to the size it did, without the assistance of these folk....
    Political days? You're not one of those rough and tumble Chicago ward bosses, are you?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"