Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa spillover design

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa spillover design

Hi everyone, we're in the middle of our pool remodel and I was hoping to get some thoughts on the design of our spa spillover. We're changing the top surface of the spillover from tile to stone, which we really like. My question is about the height of the spillover. The original design (pictured below) has the spa spillover at a lower height for the entire radius that is adjacent to the open pool water.

PoolBIG.jpg

However, the builder suggested increasing the height of the spillover to be level with all the other coping except for a small section in the center, as shown below (this is our pool - he even started building it up that way today because of a miscommunication, but I noticed it when I got home tonight).

Spa_spillover_high.jpg

We're going to meet tomorrow morning to decide how we'd like it. What do you think? The higher spillover creates more of a walled-off feel for the spa that I'm not sure I like (I'm sure our toddler would love jumping between the spa and pool which would be easier with a lower spillover), but the builder said that's what most of his clients are doing now.

Would you do the higher spillover that's flush with the rest of the coping, or the lower spillover like the older design? Thanks for any input!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa spillover design

It is a personal preference.
    My spa has a very wide spillover.
    It suited the stacked stone spillover where water gently spills down the steps.
    A narrow spillway means it will be a more concentrated high volume spillway, a deluge.
    My neighbor doesn't have a spillway as such, he has five square stainless steel pipes embedded in spa wall that the water spills though.
    To each their own.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

That wide I would actually do 3 spillovers, left/middle/right, to me that would look the best.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

I went with a 24" wide spill over on mine. I like it because it creates a nice water fall feature if I turn on the jets.

30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looking again I notice the steps on one side and bench on the other, with that I would stick to the PB design.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It's looking beautiful! I can't stop looking at that tile. I love it! It keeps calling me back over and over. It's so colorful and at the same time, subtle! It IS perfect with all your choices! I really can't wait to see this pool with water.
    Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I like the higher wall near the steps down especially. That one section looks a little awkward to me.

However, as to how wide or how many spill ways, I don't have any thoughts one way or the other. I don't believe I have ever been in a pool with a spa. My gut is to go with ozdiver's idea of wider or more spillways to avoid a deluge in one spot. Have you seen his pool?
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the thoughts, very helpful.

We decided to open it up wider, but not quite as wide as the original spillway. In the pictures below, we marked where the spillover will be widened to with the tiles that lay flat all the way across the top (so it's maybe going to be 6 feet wide).

Pool4.jpg

Pool2.jpg

I do like the idea of making it narrow enough to have a little waterfall effect but I think we'll like a wider spillover more because we've got a couple of young kids that will really like jumping back and forth between the pool and spa when they're playing and I think the wide spillover will make that a lot more easy/inviting.

Hopefully it looks alright when we're done!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

It's going to look great! The spillover will be perfect for the little ones (and big ones) to slip back and forth between pool and spa. I really like the larger spillway and such a lovely pool!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

I like how you decided to do it! Going to be great.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

11. Back To Top    #11

This is going to be GREAT!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

12. Back To Top    #12

Love the tile!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

13. Back To Top    #13

I love the tile! What the name of the tile. Just getting started on my new pool. That tile would go perfectly with my ivory travertine deck.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Dreynolds View Post
    I love the tile! What the name of the tile. Just getting started on my new pool. That tile would go perfectly with my ivory travertine deck.
    Thanks! It's called the Kilkea Blue, made by Noble Tile. You can find it here - http://nobletile.com/celtic-castle/

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks! the tile I pick is very close to that. Moorea Lapis Blue. Pick it because of the Deco tiles that go with it.