Going from bromine to chlorine

RyanMcC

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2013
NH
We finally went with the TFPC system in our pool and it's THE BOMB. LOVE IT.

Our hot tub is a bromine system and we hadn't quite got the knack of that. It's time to drain and we'll install an ozonator we bought this weekend.

Two questions-

1. Should we convert to chlorine after we empty, too?

2. How much harder is it to do TFPC on the hot tub? It gets daily use but is not outside so no sun. Are there big differences in care steps? The TFPC method is laid out so well for pools, but I have a cloud of confusion about the hot tub.

Thanks for any help!

I wish I knew but I am just not sure, I was going to do the same thing later this fall (SWG) .. Maybe Chem_geek will be able to help.

Ozone depletes chlorine (and vice versa) so if you use an ozonator than a bromine spa is easier unless you use the spa every day or two in which case chlorine would still work. How often do you plan to use the spa? You can see the stickies at the top of this "Spas and Hot Tubs" forum section for chlorine and bromine.

Thanks! I confess I didn't read the stickies and will. My husband has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is in the tub twice per day. I am usually in once. Kids, sometimes. It's in the basement so weather doesn't reduce the days. So it sees a lot of action. I'm glad I posted- I didn't know that about chlorine and ozonators. Off to the stickies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.