Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool finishes

1. Back To Top    #1
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

Pool finishes

We are interested in upgrading our pool finish beyond traditional white plaster for added longevity. I also don't care for the stark white look. Our builder offers also a standard a grey plaster using black sand to tint the white plaster. There is a lot of mottling in this finish, but I'm not sure how much I care about that at this point. This is what the builder says about the grey plaster:

"The white plaster with black sand I install on 90 percent of my pools has added strength with black sand as it acts as an aggregate due to the fact that the granules are larger than white sand....studies have shown it to be stronger than white plaster and has the look of an upgraded plaster because of the speckles...its very attractive!"

The next upgrade with this builder is Quartzscapes, and then River Rok after that. The builder is pretty down an the pebble aggregates because of their roughness especially for kids, so it has me a little concerned now. Any thoughts on the black sand comment, or on the other products for our needs?

Edit: (added question)

Also, what is the prevailing opinion on unexposed quartz? The builder said some people will go with quartz but leave it unexposed, and it will expose gradually on its own. Theoretically, this adds life to the quartz but doesn't immediately show off the quartz aggregate. But then I would wonder what the exposure looks like down the road. Uneven, I would expect. Has anyone heard of this?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool finishes

Go with Quartz and get it exposed. A good installer can get very good exposure without acid wash, but acid wash gives more exposure. Do not go unexposed, or you'll never see the true beauty of the finish. Tinting plaster usually results in mottling, but the better the installer, the less you'll have. Personally, I would go with a top shelf Quartz over pebble for smoothness. That is a very good one. WetEdge and CLI are also excellent. I would suggest talking to more than one contractor as well. There are many in the DFW region, so look around.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Pool finishes

Look at this is a thermally applied plastic finish.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics