New Solar System

rbinn

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2015
Nanaimo BC
Hello all,

Well I bit the bullet and ordered this from Amazon.ca

2-2 Garden

I wanted Heliocoil but I couldn't afford it. I do get a lot of sun to my Southern roof exposure so I can retire my DIY.
My pool was sitting at 74 at 7:30 this morning but is currently knocking on 80. This is just using a solar blanket and my DIY.
Problem is, as was explained to me on this forum, is volume. I just could'nt get the volume through the pipe.

Once install is completed I'll put up pictures, in the mean time here's a few pics from my new deck. We didn't realize at the time when we were building but we ended up with really nice ocean view. (Look Left)...kinda cool.

pool.jpg - Google Drive
pool2.jpg - Google Drive

Cheers,

Rob

Super, they work quite well. I have 2 full sets totalling 8'x20' and the other day it was 108 degrees coming out of it. Pool was 94!
They are right in saying about adding a 10 degree difference, that is what I find.
But, I also used 1-1/2" hose for the intake and outlet, directly into the pool, makes quite a bit of flow of nice hot water. I shut it off at night of course.

Thanks for the comments!

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas:D

DarrelB, do you leave your pool and solar up year round? Our climate on the island is very mild so Im thinking I should be ok as long as I do everything right...

Rob

No we do not leave it up during the winter, too darned cold here in Manitoba (-35 in winter). My panels are on the ground by the pool, so I just drain them, and roll up for storage in winter in the shed.

Thanks for the comments!

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas:D

DarrelB, do you leave your pool and solar up year round? Our climate on the island is very mild so Im thinking I should be ok as long as I do everything right...

Rob

Super, they work quite well. I have 2 full sets totalling 8'x20' and the other day it was 108 degrees coming out of it.
That means you are losing a lot of heat and don't have enough flow rate through the panels. You don't really want the outlet of the panels to be more than about 5 degF more than the inlet. Heat loss increases rapidly with large temperature deltas. Increasing the flow rate through panels, reduces the deltaF and increases the heat transfer to the pool.

Oh geez..............what next? First time I heard that, please explain that one.

Air temp showed as 85 degrees in shade, it was a sunny day, and water temp that day was 90 degrees thereby making the water inlet of 90 degrees. The flow out when measured with thermometer stated 108 degrees coming out of the discharge hose into the pool. Both temps were recorded with the same thermometer.

Was the pool colder the 2 days before, you bet it was......75 degrees. So raising the temp up to 90 with these smaller panels, it worked very well regardless. Our weather fluctuates like crazy here over the summer, one day its 90 out, next day only 60, with the nights going down lower sometimes.

That means you are losing a lot of heat and don't have enough flow rate through the panels. You don't really want the outlet of the panels to be more than about 5 degF more than the inlet. Heat loss increases rapidly with large temperature deltas. Increasing the flow rate through panels, reduces the deltaF and increases the heat transfer to the pool.

I am surprised this is the first you had heard of this concept since is dicussed often on the forum.

Heat transfers from hot objects to cool objects. If the air is cooler than the panels, heat is lost by convection. The sky is always cooler than the panels and here heat is lost by radiation. The warmer the panels, the faster heat is transferred to these heat sinks. So if your panels are at 90F, they will lose less heat then when they are at 108F.

However you can easily reduce the water temperature and also increase the net heat transferred to the water by increasing the flow rate through the panels. For most most panels, an ideal flow rate is around 0.1 GPM per sqft.

Yes you will get some net heat gain with the water at 108 F, I was just pointing out that you could probably do better.

One can always do better at everything though, just saying.
It has the largest hose that the 1-1/2" inlet will allow, cannot get much more flow than that already.

Regardless, we have gone off track regarding the original post. Just congratulating the member on his purchase and my positive experience with the same product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys for all the input! Great to know my purchase has had success with other members.

Does anybody use an electronic controller for their install of this product? If so what kind? Rough idea of cost etc.

Great forum....loving my TFP!

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.