My pool's getting blue but I still don't have my test kit

Jul 13, 2015
Lakewood
I ordered my test kit on Sunday and was expecting it today. Unfortunately it hit some bad weather and was delayed so now I have to keep guessing while I'm trying to get rid of my green swamp.

I bought a house in January and it had a pool but we got very little information about it. It had a Jandy VS proflo pump that worked for 1 day when we tried to open out pool in late May. I've been trying to deal with getting a replacement since then. First thinking I could have the pump repaired I waited for weeks to have 2 different "pool guys" look at it. Finally I was given a $1,700 quote to repair it. So instead I ebayed a new Pentair 1HP and installed it myself last weekend (and a Intermatic timer).

After spending 6 weeks or more with no circulation and limited chemistry in the pool it was very green when I started the pump last weekend. I had been reading this site and knew I needed to slam but without a test kit I've been in the dark a little bit. I started by adding 8x 121oz jugs of 8.25% Great Value bleach (which pool math said would bring my FC to 16ish). I had added about 4# of conditioner earlier and this was my guess. My pool is 35'x15' in ground with a deep end that at one point had a diving board (I'm thinking it's 10' or 11' deep). I'm pretty sure the pool is made of fiberglass (it has a funny sound when you tap on the side of it.) I have a 1HP pump and a sand filter.

I've been dumping bleach in it regularly, I've purchased 42 gals in the last week ;). I have gotten it from green to blue, but it's still not clear enough to see the bottom. I've been trying to brush and vacuum it daily and learning how to backwash and rinse the filter as I go. It looks much better now and I'm thinking I can probably get in it this weekend.

I was so excited to get my test kit and be able to post all my numbers for you guys (and maybe even a pic) but now it looks like it might be next week before the test kit arrives in my hands. :(

Well, it would be nice to know your CYA to know if your getting enough FC in there to do the job, but it looks like your in the ballpark. Sounds like your on the right track, just need the kit to verify.

You seem to have the system down, so I would suggest keep chlorine in there and keep up the brushing and cleaning until the kit arrives. If you have your heart set on getting in this weekend, you could buy a cheap OTO test kit to at least see where the chlorine level might be. Just remember it only reads up to 5ppm, so if it shows way darker which it might you won't know how high it is until your swim trunks fade. Be careful swimming with too high of a chlorine level :eek:

Good luck and welcome :handwave:

I would be careful swimming in it since you can't see through the water...especially with kids. Sorry, have on my Mom Hat. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know for certain there is nothing on the bottom of the deep end?

I would be careful swimming in it since you can't see through the water...especially with kids. Sorry, have on my Mom Hat. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know for certain there is nothing on the bottom of the deep end?

Wjaneala is absolutely right. I reread your post, I missed the part about not seeing the bottom. I was focused on swimming with high chlorine. MY BAD.

I totally agree, if you can't see the bottom, you don't know what's there and could you see someone in the deep end ? I know the urge to swim is great ,BUT safety first, especially with kiddos.

I would urge you to wait till you can see the entire pool and we know your levels are safe. Now I sound like my Mom :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the good catch, Wjaneala:goodpost:

Be careful adding tons of bleach with no true numbers. You don't want to overshoot and damage your equipment. Depending on the size of your pool, we generally only recommend 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon a day until the test kit arrives.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I had an Oto test and could definitely see when I was out of chlorine. Since it was emerald green (or darker) I was out of chlorine most of the time. I got in and splashed around this weekend (no kids just me and the wife) but no parties until it's a crystal clear.
Thinking about getting some DE before this weekend to speed things up.

Thanks again. I'll start a new thread with my numbers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.