Help! Finally realized that the pool store is crazy....

Jul 17, 2015
Pittsburgh
We always used to just use bleach/baking soda/rock salt with our Taylor K-2005 kit to balance things out until we had a big problem with clearing it during the spring of 2014. I went to the Pool Store, bought hundreds of $$ in chems and got it clear... for a bit. We had algae problems off and on all summer and trouble keeping readable chlorine levels. Fast forward to this year. Bought $300 worth of chems right off the bat so we could open up early. We had a tree fall on the pool, a short in the wiring to the pump causing 2 weeks of no circulation, and a leak in the lines somewhere shortly afterwards. Fixed the leak with some amazing gel that we poured into the skimmer.

After re-reading my "pool bible" (aka Taylor kit instruction book) I realized how much I was overspending on chlorine by getting tri-chlor, so I've reverted to good ole bleach. Our pool is finally blue after a big algae bloom, but still a little hazy. It's been raining almost everyday for around a month. Couldn't get any chlorine to register on my kit. Thought maybe my testing bottles were too old. I took a sample to that pool store since they do free testing, knowing I wouldn't buy anything from them, but wanted to see if my tests were true. Here are the results:

TC: 0
FC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 65
CH: 175
CYA: 110

They told me I have something creating a high chlorine demand and need to burn out the pool with a 74% shock they sell. I politely walked out. What really gets me, is that on their analysis, they say that CYA range should be 30-150. No wonder I can't get the FC to register!

After reading Pool School and some other threads, I'm wondering - do I need to SLAM the pool, or do I just need to drain and fill a few times to get the CYA down? What could be causing the haze? Early sign of algae? I killed the last bloom by dissolving 10lbs of the Sam's club granular chlorine and pouring it in. That was just a few days ago. We've "shocked" SO much, no wonder the CYA is through the roof.

We have a pool party scheduled in a week - is there hope for the party? Give me some advice! I'll be ordering the more accurate FAS/DPD test soon.

Sorry you had to take the long, painful road to finally see the light. :) But we're glad you are here. So first things first .... CYA! Yuck. Yep, the only way to reduce adequately is a partial drain. You want that CYA lower before you SLAM or add any more chemicals. Since you have a plaster IG pool, you need to be careful of draining too much if you have a water table that could "float" or disrupt your pool shell. Having said that, a healthy drain is usually more efficient that many very small drains, but I'd recommend about a 40-50% drain and exchange of water if you are able to do so. See how that reduces your CYA. However you slice it, remove/exchange some water to get you to a decent CYA. Even if you only make it to 50 or 60, that's at least manageable. You'll use a little more bleach for a SLAM, but after that not so much.

SO hey, welcome to TFP! Let us know if you have any more questions.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Definitely get that FAS-DPD kit ordered ASAP. You will need it to measure FC and CC during your SLAM.

My advice would be to read the articles in POOL SCHOOL two or three times and to utilize the pool calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html.

You may be able to get it clear in a week, but you have to be willing to test and keep the chlorine levels at SLAM levels and purchase as much bleach as needed to keep them there, which will be a lot due to the high CYA. You would be better off doing a 1/2 drain and refill, but I am not experienced with plaster pools and the drain and refill process with those...and the pool store was correct in saying that you needed to raise your chlorine level due to demand, but do it with bleach due to the high CYA...

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, there is hope. Drain 30-40% probably twice. Or if you are comfortable with draining about 60% to get your CYA down to 40-50.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Or order the FAS/DPD seperately from tftestkits if the rest of your kit is pretty full.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to read while you watch your pool drain. .
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thank you - you all are awesome! I'll start draining tonight. I already ordered the FAS/DPD on its own, because I keep my kit well stocked. Won't be a problem to drain half of it in one go - and then maybe we can finally get the two large stones at the bottom of the deep end that landed there when the tree fell. I'll refill, check the CYA, and then report back. And I'll keep reading the articles on here. I'm such a geek for this stuff - I love understanding how it all works! :p

LexieLou! I had a kitty with that name! She was such a special kitty!

You are so going to love your pool the TFP way and LOVE the money you will save!

Just read and following the directions to the T and you will have a clear pool that will look like a jewel!

Kim

Hi LexiLou,
Welcome to TFP!

If you are geeky and like learning how this pool stuff works, well you certainly came to the right place!

Get your CYA down and SLAM and SLAM hard as soon as you get it filled back up. Its hazy now because you have the beginning of another algae bloom, which is a result of your FC not being high enough to overcome the buffering effects of teh CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome, you've definitely found the right place to get your pool straightened out.

You're CYA is probably high and you probably need to drain and refill as advised above. However you're trusting your CYA reading to the same people that say it needs to be between 30 and 150 and want to sell you hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals. I'd want a proper test kit and to be sure what the CYA level actually is before I drained and refilled half of a 22,000 gallon pool.

Welcome, you've definitely found the right place to get your pool straightened out.

You're CYA is probably high and you probably need to drain and refill as advised above. However you're trusting your CYA reading to the same people that say it needs to be between 30 and 150 and want to sell you hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals. I'd want a proper test kit and to be sure what the CYA level actually is before I drained and refilled half of a 22,000 gallon pool.

Agreed! Wait for your own test kit to be safe!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had tested everything except the CYA before I went in, and all of their results were spot on with mine. They've always matched my own. I don't doubt their readings (much) just their interpretations of acceptable ranges and responses to problems. Pool's already down about a foot... so I'm pretty committed now, lol! If it ends up being too low, I have 7 lbs of stabilizer they sold me this spring in the shed. The water bill will just be a bummer. ;)

Ok... you guys were making me super nervous, lol, so I just went and checked the CYA of the pool water. If the store was off, it was on the low end. I got a super high reading. Eek!

Because half of the pool floor gradually goes from 3-9ft, it's hard to judge what's "half". We've drained about a foot and a half so far. Would two feet be good? Should I go 2 and a half? I'd rather not overshoot it, since the cost of the sewage is formidable. But I'd also rather not fill and drain a few times, you know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.