Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner/SWG Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, NV

New Pool Owner/SWG Question

Hi all

As a new pool owner, having an issue. Pool has been up and running for 2 months now, but my SWG is not producing enough chlorine. I took a sample to the pool store around the corner, NPS Pool Supply which I am told is the best option in Las Vegas. After testing, they told me all the levels were perfect (ph, chlorine because I had added shock, CYA...) except my salt level was low. The digital readout where my pool equipment is shows 3.1 (3100 ppm), and the pool school guy told me to keep it between 3.0 and 3.2. The test at NPS said it was at 2.2. I'm running my SWG 10 hours a day, 80% and not even close to keeping up with demand of low/moderate use.

I guess my question is, which do I trust? Could the readout at home be out of calibration/never calibrated properly? Would low salt be a reason my pool won't generate enough chlorine?

Thank you all for help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: New Pool Owner/SWG Question

Sure it *can* be....but its hard to know without knowing how you've been testing up to now. I've tried to put salt test strips up against my salt test that uses drops of reagent (which provides an accurate repeatable value) and the salt strip was wayyyyyy off.

We need you to provide us with the following values: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. preferably from your own testing kit.
    As pool stores are also notorious for being wrong in their testing most everyone here gets one of the two preferred drop test kits- The TF-100 (my fave) or the Taylor K-2006 (no other one!) kits. You can get either from or the Taylor 2006 from Amazon & occasionally locally. These help us most because we're all using the same scale of test, color etc.

Until we figure out what's up with your SWG, you should be supplementing with liquid chlorine, aka household bleach. No fancy bleaches, just average run of the mill fresh 8.25% or higher bleach.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New Pool Owner/SWG Question is the place to get your test kit. I would bet that your pool has algae that is consuming the chlorine as fast as it is being produced. Algae grows when the chlorine level drops below minimum for the CYA level in the pool. Chlorine CYA Chart

Turn off the SWG, raise your FC up to 10ppm and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). If you fail then you will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone test salinity with a refractometer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led

5. Back To Top    #5

Harvey, LA

You don't have self made test results yet, but if I had to guess, I would bet your CYA is low (pool stores typically recommend CYA levels much lower than we do, even if you tell them it's a salt pool) and that is why you are losing chlorine since you live in a very sunny location, unless you've got an indoor pool...which leads me to my next thought---please add a signature that has details about your pool:

Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
    19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history