I'm new to the site and looking for help (sorry if this is too elementary for you guys). I've viewed the links to pool school, chlorine / cya chart, pool math and SLAM pages. That is a lot of info to take in for a novice who wasn't even sure what all the abbreviations stood for. I'll continue educating myself, but am really hoping to get my pool in working order ASAP.
We have been using a chemical only pool service this summer and our pool now has a green tint (we can see the drain). This is unacceptable. If I wanted a green pool, I could do that by myself for free! So, in finding this site, I'm thinking I will give this water chemistry stuff a go for myself knowing there is a lot of knowledge on here.
Here are my numbers from the pool store:
(Both my pool service and pool store are trying to push phosfree)
Free Avail Chlorine: 5
Total Avail Chlorine: 5
Calcium Hardness: 390
Cyanuric Acid: 75
Total Alkalinity: 90
Total Dissolved Solids: 500
I JUST ordered a K2006 test kit. I'm hoping to confirm the following and see if there's anything else I'm missing:
1. Is SLAMing the correct move ?
2. Is pH 7.6 okay ? (I know it says 7.2 - 7.5, not sure if being .1 high is a big deal or not)
3. I plan to use liquid bleach while SLAMing (chlorox 8.25 seems to be the concensus?). I'll be sure to check CYA levels to know where my chlorine needs to be.
4. I plan to brush and clean my cartridge filter during the whole process.
5. Am I missing anything else ?
Thank you all, I really appreciate your time an help!
I know this much... Clear blue pool = happy wife = happy life.