Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clumps of Algae? at Bottom.

1. Back To Top    #1

Clumps of Algae? at Bottom.

Every few days few clumps of dark greenish matter (dust-like) show up at the bottom of the pool. They are easily removed with the vacuum. I assume they are dead algae but I really donít know. The water is balance and properly sanitized. Can you shed some light on what these clumps are and is there anything I can do to prevent them?
    Home built, 52' x 12' x 4', 18K gal. vinyl lap pool. 1-1/2 HP pump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clumps of Algae? at Bottom.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are seeing Algae in the pool, it can't be properly balanced or sanitized. Algae only grows in pools with inadequate Free Chlorine. If you have your own test kit, and can post some test results, we can help you find out what's going on.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have some test results (numbers please)?

Dead algae isn't usually green - that's more likely live algae, or something else.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Do you have some test results (numbers please)?

Dead algae isn't usually green - that's more likely live algae, or something else.
    My test reading of today: Free chlorine=5, Alkalinity=40, PH=7.8, Hardness=250. Water is clear and test strips were purchased a month ago.
    To give a you a little background, about a month ago I was out of town for few days and the pool maintenance got somewhat neglected. When I came back the water was green. I took over a week to get the water balance again by means of vacuum on waste, chemicals and double shock.
    The clumps in question actually are somewhat dark gray with a greenish over tone.
    My question is, should I expect to see clumps of this nature from time to time (with proper water balance), or is it something I am not doing right? I backwash just about every day.
    I guess what I can do is to vacuum on waste one more time and go from there. I am very open to suggestions.
    Home built, 52' x 12' x 4', 18K gal. vinyl lap pool. 1-1/2 HP pump, sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

If said clumps look like aquatic dust bunnies that go poof and disappear when a brush approaches, it dead algae.

Follow the link in the first post and look at the pictures. Especially 4/6 Does it look like that?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Richard. They look like exactly as you describe. Now my question is, what is the best way to get rid of them? Vacuum on waste or back flush? Will these dust bunnies be persistent occurrences or will they eventually disappear? (assuming the water is kept in balance).
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by NCMau View Post
    Thanks Richard. They look like exactly as you describe. Now my question is, what is the best way to get rid of them? Vacuum on waste or back flush? Will these dust bunnies be persistent occurrences or will they eventually disappear? (assuming the water is kept in balance).
    Vacuum them up into the filter and perform a SLAM. Follow the SLAm instructions and don't neglect to seriously clean any ladders or steps or pool light niches. Your water isn't cloudy, so it could be a very brief SLAM, a day or two to pass all three tests. And once it's all gone and filtered out and backwashed away, you just need to maintain correct FC for your CYA and you'll never see it again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!