New here - need advice!

Jul 8, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

History - we've always used test strips and 3" pucks/shock. What finally drove me to this site is the fact that chlorine never shows up on any test and we now have some type of black algae growing on the bottom that is hard to get off even with a brush.

Latest - read Pool School several times and bought the TF100. It's a little overwhelming but I'm learning!

Levels -
FC - 0
Ph - 8.2
TA - 160
CYA - 0
Temp - 89

The liner was just replaced (four weeks ago) and the pool filled. Right after the liner was installed it rained hard almost every day for a week or more and the pool got away from us.

The water is clear but there is dark algae growing on bottom. From what I read it sounds like I need to SLAM the pool.

I went to Sam's and HD this morning and have bleach and muriatic acid standing by.

My first thought was to raise the CYA - but the Poolmath calculator says to add almost 8 lbs of stabilizer. Based on what I've read I'm concerned about getting the CYA too high.

What should I do first?

No more pucks or shock - I'm all in with you guys!

Thank you!
LaneChis

Hey neighbor! Welcome to TFP. Okay, let's get you going:
- CYA .. YES, start soaking the required amount in a sock near a return right away. It will take a week or so to record on your tests. Use an initial target of 30 ppm for now. In our heat you may go higher later.
- Use acid to lower your PH to 7.2 NOW. As soon as you know it's there, you can begin the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
- Once the acid has mixed well for 30 min, and you know PH is at 7.2, use liquid bleach to get your FC up to a SLAM shock FC of 12 and keep it there until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria.

Those are your initial instructions, so good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Remember to use the Poolmath calculator and Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. These references are some of your greatest allies. :)

Just as TexasSplash said. I'd just like to add that the more often you test and bring your FC back up to 12, the quicker your SLAM will go.

You've made an excellent choice. This is my first summer as a TFPer and I love it!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You COULD use your pucks and let them add CYA while you are trying to get it up. I think one 3" puck adds 0.7ppm CYA, but that might take too long. BE SURE to read POOL SCHOOL and use the POOL CALCULATOR. You can add your stabilizer according to the calculator and then dose your pool according the CYA number you are targeting. Since your CYA is zero, you could use any powdered shock you have to get your FC up. BUT BE SURE TO READ AND REREAD POOL SCHOOL AND USE THE POOL CALCULATOR...

Thanks for the help!

I got the Ph down to 7.2 and the CYA to 30.

Used PoolMath chart to determine amount of bleach and started slamming it this morning. First reading was 17; 30 min later it was 20; hour later (now) it is 15.5. I was shooting for 12 - not sure why it went to 20?

There is still some black algea on the bottom in the deep end. Should I brush it now or wait for the FC to remain constant?

Thanks!
LaneChis

there is still some black stuff on the bottom. When should I brush? Now or wait until the FC

Be sure to brush every day. I'm not sure that it matters at what point. Check your FC every hour if you can and keep it at your SL. The more often you can do this, the better.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.