New at self testing and have a few (just curious) questions

Jul 12, 2015
Tampa, Florida
I finally bought the tf-100 test kit and it arrived yesterday. I did my first round of full tests to see how it worked, and all seemed fine except for two readings which were MUCH higher than the pool store tests. Results were: FC 11.5; CC 0; TA 120; CH 725; CYA 85.

The two that are so much different are the FC (pool store kept telling me between 4 and 6 for the last several months) and the CH (pool store kept telling me between 400 and 450 for the last several months). Those seem to be big jumps!

My CH has always been high. Talking with other pool owners from my part of FL, they have told me it is because of the hard water coming out of the taps! I do not have scaling problems, and other pool owners (and the pool store) do not seem too concerned, so I have not been too concerned.

I do have a bit of staining, but that is a question for a different forum. (I actually think that reading through the staining forum has helped me know a plan to solve that problem)

I am also using pucks currently, but after a trip that I am taking next week, I will switch over to liquid when I return. Will also plan a partial water exchange when I get back to try to lower the CYA.

So, my questions -- Are results this wildly different from the pool store normal and expected? Should I be worried about High CH reading? If yes, what is the best way to solve that, knowing that the water coming from the taps could be the problem?

Enjoying being part of this community! I have already learned a lot just from reading!

Welcome to TFP and kudos for taking over your pool.

Yes, this is expected unfortunately, we see it all the time. Your CH is high, but manageable. Depending on your tap water, you can likely reduce it some. With high CH it's important not to let the pH get too high, so try not to let it get above 7.6 for now. CH comes from the tap, and you can test it to see what's in yours. Lots of people have hard water, so it's a matter of managing it carefully to prevent scaling. No worries, it can be done. Enjoy your time on the forum.

So, my questions -- Are results this wildly different from the pool store normal and expected? Should I be worried about High CH reading? If yes, what is the best way to solve that, knowing that the water coming from the taps could be the problem?

You are correct, pool store testing can be, and often is wildly inaccurate. You don't mention a pH, but yes a high calcium can be a problem. Problems like scaling can be avoided by properly balancing your water to offset the high Calcium.

Sorry Patrick! What Patrick said...

pH was 7.8, but I have treated to lower it. I tested my tap water and CH level there is 350, so a swap is not going to do that much. I am going to try to divert some rain water and see if that will lower it. Florida rains are here every day!

What should I be looking for with the scaling? Will I see it on the bottom or at the edges?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.