Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Every morning brown smears on the bottom of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Every morning brown smears on the bottom of my pool

Hello all! I am happy to report that I received my Taylor k-2006 test kit yesterday, and I am loving it. So far, I have completed the following tests:

fc-6.5
    cc- less than .5 ( I did the smaller sample test that would give results within .5... There was barely a hint of pink, so I know that I do have some cc, but not much at all)
    ph- 7.1
    cya- 35

Every night I go to bed with a clean pool, and every morning I wake up to a mess. I live in a heavily treed neighborhood. I don't really mind the leaves that much....yet! But what I do mind is some sort of tree bud or flower that drops to the bottom of the pool and leaves brown smears everywhere. I try to brush them out, but the brushing does not help. The stains eventually dissipate throughout the day, probably due to the chlorine, but I don't understand why I am getting this staining in the first place. It is really frustrating. Has anyone else had a similar issue or does anyone have a suggestion to help me avoid these stains? I should post a picture, but I am not sure how.
    19k gallon, in ground pool w/ raised spa, gunite, pebble sheen, Hayward Ecostar VSP, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Pentair rainbow chlorine feeder, Polaris vacuum w/ booster pump, Hayward gas heater, travertine coping, stamped concrete decking, sheer descents water features w/ Hayward Tristar pump, groundbreaking: March 2015, initial water fill: May 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Every morning brown smears on the bottom of my pool

Do you run your pump at night? Maybe the skimmer would grab them before they sink if the pump was running.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

what times do they fall, or is it all the time? could you run your pump at different times instead of 1 time a day, that would get more into your skimmer..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I currently run the pump from 8am to 8pm. That probably explains why I don't see them on the bottom of the pool during the day. Good idea to run the pump at night! I'd like to avoid running the pump more than 12 hours a day, so I will shut it off at some point during the day so that it can run at night. I hope this doesn't cause problems during the day!
    19k gallon, in ground pool w/ raised spa, gunite, pebble sheen, Hayward Ecostar VSP, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Pentair rainbow chlorine feeder, Polaris vacuum w/ booster pump, Hayward gas heater, travertine coping, stamped concrete decking, sheer descents water features w/ Hayward Tristar pump, groundbreaking: March 2015, initial water fill: May 2015

5. Back To Top    #5

You've got a gunnite pool- how's your calcium hardness number? Is it high and is that why your pH is kinda low?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

try 3 hours split 4 times a day or

2 hours split 6 times, that would give less time with no skimmer action
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

I run my VSpump at 1100 rpm 24x7 when I have leaf/tree issues. This provides good skimming action and enough flow to keep my SWG happy. My pump draws 150 watts at 1100 rpm. It costs less fhan $12/mo to run my pump 24x7 and keep leaves in the skimmer baskets and off the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

My ph is low because I added a little too much MA. I added based off of my old test kit. Now that I have the new test kit, I will be able to better manage the ph. I haven't done the CH test yet, but typically (based on pool store testing) my ph is high and I am having to add acid. Pool builder said this is common in a gunite pool for the first few months. Thanks for all of the suggestions about the pump timing! I am definitely going to change it up!

9. Back To Top    #9

its a new pool? then yeah, your pH is gonna keep rising while the plaster cures/seals. you want to check that CH test ASAP to make sure your levels are high enough. its important in plaster pools, especially during curing.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I notice you mention that scrubbing them does no good. have you tried applying a little elbow grease directly to the stain? I get them also, mine are from little pieces of metal (iron) that float into the pool from my broken heater. I have the valves in bypass, but apparently one of them is leaking a little. (weekend project, when not raining.)

do they repeat in the same place every morning?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

I tested my ch today, and it is 260. The spots are definitely from a bud that is being dropped from a tree into the pool. I can brush the stains and the little buds float around, but the stain does not brush away. I have been playing around with different pump speeds. I'm going to experiment tonight running it at 25% to see if that helps. Just a general question...is it better (for the long time life of the pump) to run it all the time at a lower speed (except when using the cleaner) or have it cycle on and off throughout the day/night at various speeds?

12. Back To Top    #12

if you have a variable speed pump I would be running it low for a most of the day, if not 24/7. at the low wattage at low speeds, it just super cheap to run. you are getting the spots due to the buds sitting on the ground, and since you don't get them during the day your skimmer must be getting them?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;