I have Algae and my CYA is low.

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
I am not sure how I got algae, I have always kept my chlorine higher that I needed to, but I have algae. My pool is crystal clear, I was sure I didn't have it. I did the overnight test and it confirmed it, I had my chlorine up last night until 18, did the test this morning and my chlorine was 12.

Here are the rest of my results this morning:

FC 12
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH Didn't do it
CYA 25-30

So I know I have to do a slam, so I am going to start it tonight when I get home. My first SLAM ever, so I am nervous... My question is do I worry about the CYA test being low, do I put that in now too, or wait until the slam is over? Also, can I swim, if the water is at slam level?

Attachments

• Algae.jpg
    Algae.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 63
Some areas of the pool just seem to get less circulation of the chlorine hence algae can slip in. Don't forget that brushing your pool is important and do it at least weekly and daily during a SLAM. That will aid in circulation as well as disrupt any algae and let the chlorine get at it good.

Go forth Algae Killer! May the FC be with you.....

you are in great shape with your CYA levels for the SLAM. and it will be a pretty quick SLAM I bet. just hit it hard and often from the get go and you will be done quick. get your ladder out of the pool during the SLAM and scrub it down really good. and then leave it out to dry until you are done. ladders can hide algae. after your SLAM is done, you can get your CYA levels up a bit.

I just had the same exact thing. Same exact circumstances. Really i was done in 2 days but kept it going for 3 days. Really not much different than what your already doing. Brush and keep your filter going 24/7 and putting some extra bleach in. Ur already doing the right things. I was just told "sometimes bad things happen to good people" when I asked the same question of how. Lol Matter of fact I just passed all 3 tests this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.