Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have Algae and my CYA is low.

1. Back To Top    #1

I have Algae and my CYA is low.

I am not sure how I got algae, I have always kept my chlorine higher that I needed to, but I have algae. My pool is crystal clear, I was sure I didn't have it. I did the overnight test and it confirmed it, I had my chlorine up last night until 18, did the test this morning and my chlorine was 12.

Here are the rest of my results this morning:

FC 12
    pH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH Didn't do it
    CYA 25-30

So I know I have to do a slam, so I am going to start it tonight when I get home. My first SLAM ever, so I am nervous... My question is do I worry about the CYA test being low, do I put that in now too, or wait until the slam is over? Also, can I swim, if the water is at slam level?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5,700 gallon, Carribean Isle 15x52 Round Above Pool.
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: I have Algae and my CYA is low.

Cya of 30 is perfect for a slam. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Yes, it is safe to swim when
    Ph is 7.2 to 7.8
    FC is above minimum
    FC is below shock level
    Water is clear

We swam every day during our slam, cya 70 and fc 25-28
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Some areas of the pool just seem to get less circulation of the chlorine hence algae can slip in. Don't forget that brushing your pool is important and do it at least weekly and daily during a SLAM. That will aid in circulation as well as disrupt any algae and let the chlorine get at it good.

Go forth Algae Killer! May the FC be with you.....
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quinlan, tx

You can do this! You've been given great advice so far!

Lisa P.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sarasota, FL

you are in great shape with your CYA levels for the SLAM. and it will be a pretty quick SLAM I bet. just hit it hard and often from the get go and you will be done quick. get your ladder out of the pool during the SLAM and scrub it down really good. and then leave it out to dry until you are done. ladders can hide algae. after your SLAM is done, you can get your CYA levels up a bit.
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

Try a skimmer sock (or panty hose) to make sure this isn't just pollen. Also, if you have poor bottom circulation, point a return diagonally downwards to help with that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I just had the same exact thing. Same exact circumstances. Really i was done in 2 days but kept it going for 3 days. Really not much different than what your already doing. Brush and keep your filter going 24/7 and putting some extra bleach in. Ur already doing the right things. I was just told "sometimes bad things happen to good people" when I asked the same question of how. Lol Matter of fact I just passed all 3 tests this morning.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp