Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opportunity to size filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Opportunity to size filter

Good morning. Our pool is over 60 years old, 42000 gallon rectangular in ground. Re plastered a few years ago. We are converting to solar energy and part of the package was changing our single speed motor to a Pentair vs. The pool guy says our dual cartridges which are 175sq ft each are not a good match with the pump and suggested the Pentair CNC 420 or 520. Over the years we have relied on people that havent given us the best advice on the pool but as part of this community and this being the first equipment decision since joining I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about the filter size. We like the cartridge approach and are being told the Pentair 420 or 520 will be less maintenance and the correct size and that the dual cartridge approach we are using is not very efficient. Thank you for any comments or suggestions.
    Mike

Pool is inground 20' x 40' 42000 gallon, rectangular plaster about 60 years old, replastered 2 years ago. Pentair VS Intelliflo pump, Pentair 420 Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter. Using K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opportunity to size filter

Are your existing filters plumbed in parallel?
    If so and they're plumbed with large enough piping, they're equivalent to a 350 sqft filter. There's nothing wrong with having those filters parallel if they're plumbed correctly.

Can you post a pic of them?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are going to get a new filter definitely get the 520. With filters it is go big or go home.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Would love to see som pictures of this old pool if you can post some up.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I went with the 320 but will only have about 18000 gallons, A 520 would be a great fit for your pool size

Amazon.com : Pentair 160332 Clean Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

IMG_3555[1].jpgIMG_3554[1].jpgIMG_3556[1].jpgIMG_3557[1].jpg

Thanks for all of your responses. Attached(I hope) are the requested pics. It is cleaning time so excuse the mess!!
    Mike

Pool is inground 20' x 40' 42000 gallon, rectangular plaster about 60 years old, replastered 2 years ago. Pentair VS Intelliflo pump, Pentair 420 Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter. Using K-2006 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Doesn'took like a 60 YO pool. Great setting, and a first seeing a diagonal mounted board. Really wild.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Doesn'took like a 60 YO pool. Great setting, and a first seeing a diagonal mounted board. Really wild.
    Patrick, we have lived here 20 years and were told the pool was built in the late 50's and that MAY be correct. The last replaster we had the tile and edging blocks replaced. That certainly made a difference in the appearance.
    Mike

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's my take on it. If you're going to buy a new filter go with the 520, However the filters you have will work just fine. I'd replumb them with larger piping, But given the fact that all your piping is probably 1-1/2" you're not going to gain a lot going to a bigger filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I like it! And it really looks like a nice pool man. I love the big old school pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Switched to TFP last year and have never enjoyed the pool more. Thanks to everyone for your responses. Will let you know what we decide.
    Mike

12. Back To Top    #12

That is a fantastic old pool! And awesome setting! I love old pools, ya'll are doing a great job taking care of it.

I would get the 520 filter and a Pentair variable speed pump and you will be good to go for cheap and easy pool maintenance for years to come. Our VSpump is cheap to run. It skims and makes chlorine (swg) at 1100 rpm and only uses 150 watts. I can run my pump 24x7 at 1100 rpm for 12 bucks a month. My pump is way too big at 3 hp. Pentair released a new VS 1-1/2hp pump this year.

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is a fantastic old pool! And awesome setting! I love old pools, ya'll are doing a great job taking care of it.

I would get the 520 filter and a Pentair variable speed pump and you will be good to go for cheap and easy pool maintenance for years to come. Our VSpump is cheap to run. It skims and makes chlorine (swg) at 1100 rpm and only uses 150 watts. I can run my pump 24x7 at 1100 rpm for 12 bucks a month. My pump is way too big at 3 hp. Pentair released a new VS 1-1/2hp pump this year.

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    Thanks pooldv. Installation will hopefully be this week and the pump looks like the 3hp version. Came as part of the solar package for energy reduction. Will post a pic when completed. I want the same results you are experiencing!!
    Mike

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice, if you are getting the 3hp Pentair VS Pump then that is the same pump lots of us have on TFP. With resounding good reviews.
    TFP Moderator