Howdy From South Africa

McZero

Jul 15, 2015
South Africa
Hi All,

Been perusing the forums for the past few days, and I must say the amount of knowledge, tips and ideas is phenomenal to say the least.

I recently moved into a new place, and for the first time actually have a pool for a change, Pools are not completely new to me as my folks had one for years, so there is some remnants of how things work stuck in the old grey matter.

As we are still in winter here at the moment I am slowly getting things sorted out with the pool for when summer swings this way.

So far I have Changed the Pool filter sand as I had a nice clumpy muddy mess, which of course introduced channelling and a constantly filthy pool, as it just was not performing.
20150711_140708.jpg20150711_141307.jpg

I did however end up with a new problem, once the sand was refilled, I had a lovely line of sand at the return of the pool, so upon the usual cussing and cursing and scratching of heads and checking the laterals after draining the sand again, the problem was tracked down to the filter tube where just below the first connection there is a hole, where there is suppose to be a pipe which connects up to the multiport, I think this is some sort of breather pipe for air bubbles? Replaced that and so far am Sand free, in the pool at least.

I am still a bit away from getting that sparkly clean pool, as I suspect I may have a leak on the suction side, but have yet to find it, as I don't always get prime on the pump.
Plus it looks like it I am going to have to replace all the pool cleaner hoses, as soon as I attach them it looks like the weir is boiling from all the air bubbles being pulled in.

So yes I am on the case and working away at it when time permits.

One problem I have come across already is the glaring lack of a decent test kit in S.A So far I have only found the hth 4 way test kit, which lacks some of the essentials I am going to need especially when I slam the pool later in the month. But will make do and will have to go for best guess at the moment, until I can find something decent.

But yes a most excellent forum and hope to be able to assist, and get some good quality help down the line.

Pool.jpg

Cheers.

Welcome to TFP! You sound as if you know your way around the pool and its components a little which is great. You also know the importance of a good test kit which is even better. Here is a link to the test kits we recommend: TFTestkits.net. If for some reason you can't get the TF-100 kit shipped to your location, perhaps you can get the Taylor K-2006. They also sell it on Amazon. Both of those kits will serve you well. Again, welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the links for the test kit.

I am hoping that the wives aunty is going to be coming out in the next month or so, as she stays in Pennsylvania and that she will bring me the test kit. and go XL on it :) Otherwise will order it from Amazon.

I still need to go past the 'pool' shop and get the water tested am now rather curios to see if they even test for half the stuff mentioned round here.

At least getting the chemicals is not a problem, and I would never in my life have thought of using bleach as a replacement for the granular Chlorine that I normally use.

But it as they say you live and Learn.