Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Howdy From South Africa

1. Back To Top    #1

Howdy From South Africa

Hi All,

Been perusing the forums for the past few days, and I must say the amount of knowledge, tips and ideas is phenomenal to say the least.

I recently moved into a new place, and for the first time actually have a pool for a change, Pools are not completely new to me as my folks had one for years, so there is some remnants of how things work stuck in the old grey matter.

As we are still in winter here at the moment I am slowly getting things sorted out with the pool for when summer swings this way.

So far I have Changed the Pool filter sand as I had a nice clumpy muddy mess, which of course introduced channelling and a constantly filthy pool, as it just was not performing.
    20150711_140708.jpg20150711_141307.jpg

I did however end up with a new problem, once the sand was refilled, I had a lovely line of sand at the return of the pool, so upon the usual cussing and cursing and scratching of heads and checking the laterals after draining the sand again, the problem was tracked down to the filter tube where just below the first connection there is a hole, where there is suppose to be a pipe which connects up to the multiport, I think this is some sort of breather pipe for air bubbles? Replaced that and so far am Sand free, in the pool at least.

I am still a bit away from getting that sparkly clean pool, as I suspect I may have a leak on the suction side, but have yet to find it, as I don't always get prime on the pump.
    Plus it looks like it I am going to have to replace all the pool cleaner hoses, as soon as I attach them it looks like the weir is boiling from all the air bubbles being pulled in.

So yes I am on the case and working away at it when time permits.

One problem I have come across already is the glaring lack of a decent test kit in S.A So far I have only found the hth 4 way test kit, which lacks some of the essentials I am going to need especially when I slam the pool later in the month. But will make do and will have to go for best guess at the moment, until I can find something decent.

But yes a most excellent forum and hope to be able to assist, and get some good quality help down the line.

Pool.jpg

Cheers.
    +- 45000 Litre IG, Fibre Glass Pool, 1 HP Pump, some sort of Sand Filter, Sunny South Africa, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Howdy From South Africa

Welcome to TFP! You sound as if you know your way around the pool and its components a little which is great. You also know the importance of a good test kit which is even better. Here is a link to the test kits we recommend: TFTestkits.net. If for some reason you can't get the TF-100 kit shipped to your location, perhaps you can get the Taylor K-2006. They also sell it on Amazon. Both of those kits will serve you well. Again, welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

good morning, looks like your well on your way..

I found a Taylor K-2006C on ebay that will ship worldwide for 82 us dollars, maybe this will help this would maybe get you 2 years of use before you need refills.

Taylor K 2006C Swimming Pool Spa Liquid Test Kit Fas DPD Chlorine 2 oz Reagents | eBay
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the links for the test kit.

I am hoping that the wives aunty is going to be coming out in the next month or so, as she stays in Pennsylvania and that she will bring me the test kit. and go XL on it Otherwise will order it from Amazon.

I still need to go past the 'pool' shop and get the water tested am now rather curios to see if they even test for half the stuff mentioned round here.

At least getting the chemicals is not a problem, and I would never in my life have thought of using bleach as a replacement for the granular Chlorine that I normally use.

But it as they say you live and Learn.
    +- 45000 Litre IG, Fibre Glass Pool, 1 HP Pump, some sort of Sand Filter, Sunny South Africa, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

No worries, you will learn. It's not that hard after a while. The water tests you will be looking for are:
    FC - Free Chlorine
    CC (Combined Chlorine)
    PH
    TA (Alkalinity)
    CH ( Hardness)
    CYA (Cyanuric Acid) - your stabilizer

Keep in touch!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

that is great, the TF100 is worth every penny TFTestkits.net

The Xl option and the speed stir are great add on's
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Others have covered the test kit topic pretty well. Hopefully, you will be able to get one of the url="http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison"]Recommended Test Kits[/url] somehow.

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.