FYI:Green pools are expensive...

Jun 1, 2012
I see lots of desperate, panicked posts on here that seem to be looking for a magic, cheap, fast bullet....there is none. If your pool is a swamp, be prepared to dump what seems like an alarming amount of bleach into your pool. Yes, you MUST purchase/find things such as a good test kit, pole, brush, vacuum, dip net, and leaf rake...I CANNOT stress enough the importance of getting and keeping all the debris off of the bottom of your pool. When you think that you have raked the bottom of your pool enough, rake 5 times longer than you have and then rake 3 times more than you did the second round. But you must keep at it. Yes, the people at WalMart might think you are a terrorist making chlorine bombs, but you HAVE TO KEEP THAT FREE CHLORINE UP. Yes, the pool store will tell you that you are gong to melt your kids with a shock level of 15ppm, but if you follow the TFP method you won't. (FYI, we have swum above shock level and nobody even noticed) Yes, you will run your pump and filter ALL THE TIME, and you will brush and vacuum ALL THE TIME until your pool is clear. Yes, if your pump and filter is "janked up" it HAS to be put back in working order. If you can't do that, wait until you can to open your pool. But I promise, if you read and follow POOL SCHOOL, your pool will get clear. Yes, it might take 2 weeks (or longer), but your pool will get clear. Yes, you might have perfect numbers when testing and still have cloudy water...still KEEP SLAMMING. I have had cloudy water for weeks after all test numbers looked OK. Still I kept SLAMMING until the water was clear, and it cleared up just like POOL SCHOOL said it would. I did nothing but keep the FC at shock level, vacuum, and run the pump and filter constantly. I didn't change the sand, add DE, or anything special. You might think that you are not doing it right, just keep at it...and read POOL SCHOOL again...and again...and your brush the walls of your pool.

I know I have very few posts on here (I don't need to because the methods work if followed), but I have been involved in caring for our pool for 25 years. Our pool has been a Bacqua pool in the late 80's, a traditional pool for most of the 90's-2010, and then a TFP pool for the last 5 years. While I have a seasonal pool, and traditional methods were fine, the amount of info found on this site on pool chemistry alone will allow you to find which method works best for you and will allow you to understand WHY it works for you. But...you have to keep at it. DON'T STRESS...just keep at it and the TFP methods and info WILL WORK for you!

(I think I got off track...In summary: You have to be willing to follow the advice on this forum and BUY the materials suggested in the literature here to have a trouble-free pool.)

I couldn't agree more. TFPC works if you put the time in to educate yourself in Pool School.

Great post! Letting my pool turn into a nasty swamp would be depressing which is why I don't "close" my pool. I keep it pretty year-round. I do let the FC drop below what is recommended when the water temp drops below 50F but I've never had a problem with that.

Not having to spend any more time in the Spring is great.

Over the years I have read the same posts over and over about cloudy water and green pools. It almost always ends up being that the person was not following the directions/advice to the letter, or that they were trying to cheap out and get by without doing what is necessary. There is no reason to even try to open and run a pool if the pool owner is not willing to purchase the materials and follow the directions to run and maintain it. For example, metal stain removal is going to cost at least $100 if the methods and materials recommended here are used. There is no way around it. It is cheaper than the pool store method, yes, but it still costs around $100 to do it right. It would be less frustrating and less expensive for many pool owners if they would wait until they had the resources and time to do this method properly. Yes, TFP is a less expensive method of pool care, but a pool has costs (sometimes substantial) no matter which method is used.

In summary: You have to be willing to follow the advice on this forum and BUY the materials suggested in the literature here to have a trouble-free pool.
Another thing to note- many people here will try to help, as long as you try to help yourself. And many will try to take you step by step on how to help yourself. But not much can be done for those who simply want the magic, cheap, fast bullet and want to do nothing for it.

Yes, you do have to take the advice given. However, if your plaster needs replaced there is nothing we can do to fix it. You either have to bite the bullet and fix it or wait until you have the means to do so. I read posts on here that go on for pages and pages where the real and final answer is: "Dude, the pool needs major repair work, it's not going to be cheap, and you will not be able to swim this summer." or "What you did damaged your pool so badly that your pool needs major, specialized repair work, it's not going to be cheap, and you will not be able to swim this summer."

People need to be honest with themselves.

Another thing to note- many people here will try to help, as long as you try to help yourself. And many will try to take you step by step on how to help yourself. But not much can be done for those who simply want the magic, cheap, fast bullet and want to do nothing for it.

This is absolutely correct and goes along with the saying... you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.