Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

CH confusion

I got my TF-100 a couple days ago and I'm a little confused by the CH test.

Can someone tell me definitively when it ends?

I have the speedstir and I count out 10 drops of R-0012 and see blue. I think it's over and my reading is 200 CH.

If I let the speedstir keep going about 30 seconds later it turns back to pink. One more drop and back to blue. wait 30 seconds, back to pink, one more drop, back to blue. And the process repeats for several more drops. Over the past couple days I've gotten CH readings anywhere from 200 to 425 and I'm not sure what to believe.

Do I keep going until it never turns back to pink, or am I done with that first color change at 10 drops?

Thanks for the help.
    16K gal in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, 6 returns each in pool and spa, 2 drains each in pool and spa, 2 skimmers in pool
    Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter w/ multiport valve, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Auto-fill
    Depth 3.5 - 6.5, Completed November 2014, TF-100 test kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH confusion

Quote Originally Posted by ateam View Post

I have the speedstir and I count out 10 drops of R-0012 and see blue. I think it's over and my reading is 200 CH.
    oops - 25 * 10 = 250, not 200.
    16K gal in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, 6 returns each in pool and spa, 2 drains each in pool and spa, 2 skimmers in pool
    Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter w/ multiport valve, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Auto-fill

3. Back To Top    #3

All tests end when the first change occurs and the next drop makes no change. None requires a waiting period after the color change to see if it changes back. I think several of them wil change back if you wait.

Here are some handy videos that show the test kit in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, take a look at the extended test directions for CH (Extended Test Kit Directions). It talks about the "fading" end point and how to remedy it.
    22k gal, IG plaster pool, 1/2 hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump (P6E6C-204L), Sand Dollar Cristal-Flo 300# sand filter (CFII24), RayPak NG heater (P-R266A-MN-C), AquaRite T-15 SWG, Intermatic Hydro-King (T104P201), Aquabot Xtreme, Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd go with the higher number.

Since I regularly test CH in the 800+ zone, I consider myself an expert on this test.

Often when I'm stalled at the maroon stage, an extra cycle of the speedstir will push it to blue. But sometimes it pushes it back to pink. When it turns blue and stays blue, that's when it's over. I've never seen that test change back after sitting awhile, the way the FAS-DPD test does.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I definitely defer to Richard on high CH testing and water management.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Richard. That is exactly what I needed.