First Swim of the season

Watching my pool hit 56º today I remember growing up on Long Island swimming at the Fire Island beaches where the water temp in the summer ranges between 50º to 68º. I touched the water today and could not believe that I swam in that cold of water. Now that we have moved to Texas and today we were 80º I felt the water and said no thanks. Ah to be young again. Man I can't wait though as we moved in our house late November and have yet to swim in our pool.

Same here- I grew up in Minnesota. We would watch the thermometer on the porch, as soon as it hit 80 degrees (usually mid-June back in the 1970's), we went to the lake, which had to be all of 50 degrees that early. I remember it being soooo cold, we would jump in and swim out a floating platform as fast as we could, then soak up that "super hot" (ha!) sunshine till we quit shivering, then jump in and swim for the shore. Warm up on the shore, then repeat until we were icy little prunes.
Now I am such a wimp. We got our pool in mid-August, and swam to mid-Oct. I was very sick this fall, and it was windy a lot, so I only swam when it the water was about 80 plus. I am going to try to get a little tougher this year and start getting in when it is in the mid-upper 70's. We are working on installing our solar heater, so not sure exactly when that will happen. If I have to, I can wear my snorkeling skins and be comfortable. It was 82 degrees here yesterday, but the water is 60 degrees-too cold for me.
Spring is a tough time of the year in Texas. It can be 90+ degrees outside, and swimming sounds so good, but the water is still pretty cold. I guess I can just dunk myself in to get cooled off then go back to whatever I am doing- get hot and sweaty again, and repeat. I hope the solar can bring the temp up enough to make it swimmable when we get these spring hot sunny spells. The sun is certainly hot enough on those kinds of days.

Haha, feel like a little pansy, and I live in WI. For the most part I won't go in the pool unless it's over 86*. We do go swimming in Lake Michigan, pier jumping, wakeboarding and such though. Water doesn't get very warm there.

Adam

I Raked some leaves off my cover the other day and wanted to opemn the pool so bad. But decided to wait untill the 2nd weekend in april. Then it fill it up fire up the 333k BTU heater for a few hours and geronemo!!!!!!!

gtm said:
The 10-year old will do 76 for 5 minutes. He's good for the day at 80. Daddy will do 78 for 5 minutes. He's good for the day at 82.

But we're both probably spoiled.

If I wait till my pool hit's 80F to swim, I would never get a chance to go in. My average temp last season was the low to mid 70's. Last seaseon in New Hampshire was an unusually cool rainy summer.

Yeah, we're definitely spoiled. DW actually questioned my manhood over it. I pointed out that SHE wouldn't get in until it was mid-80's, and said that IMHO that made her a whiole lot less manly than me! She slammed me like a sticky door with, "You have a problem with that?" -- Cheers, Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.