Buying new pool pump-I need your help

Good evening,

My pool pump died and I need to replace it. I currently have a 2 HP pump and my pool is a 10,000 gallon pool. Here in Houston I have been running my pump on a timer 12 hours per day. I was debating if I can buy a .75 HP or 1 HP pump and run it 24 hours a day which would be the same electricity or less but I also feel I would save money on chemicals by having 24 hour circulation. I want to know your thoughts along with any pros or cons. Also if you agree with switching to a lower horsepower pump would .75 HP be enough? I appreciate any response and I apologize for not looking in this forum to see if my question was already posted.

Cheers

No problem, and Welcome!

What kind and what size filter do you have? You could do with less than 2hp for sure, but I'm not sure I would go 3/4. I would say 1-1.5hp.

Thank you for your response. I have a C-9419 filter. Would you recommend running a 1.5 HP pump 12 hours or a 1 HP pump 24 hours? And why not the .75 HP. From what I read a .75 HP should circulate enough GPM to keep the pool clean? Can you please help me understand the relationship between the filter size and horsepower?

Cheers

Pool Equipment Setup.jpg

Last edited:
I have decided to buy a 2 speed pump to save electricity. I have read online in the slow setting it uses 1/2 of the HP? So this would reduce the GPM? Now I have to decide if I should go with the 1.5 HP, 1 HP, or .75 HP. Which size do I need to effectively circulate my pool water? The 1/2 is what is throwing me off. (So if 1 HP gets 80 GPM a 2 speed 1 HP pump in the slower setting will only circulate 40 GPM?) Would that work for a 10,000 gallon pool?

I ended up buying a s 2 speed 1 HP pump. I will let you know how it works out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.