Hot weather, warm pool water and algae

rcroller4711

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
This is our second year as a BBB believer. Before that is was Baquacil for 4 years, BLAH. Last year being our first year doing BBB we had a large maple tree in the backyard that only let sunlight to the pool from morning to about 2 p.m. This spring we removed the tree and now we have sun on the tree 3/4 or more of each day. Our pool water is warming up to 90+ degrees and having issues with green algae. I have been maintaining around 40 for cya and 5.0 for chlorine. Last year this was good enough to thwart off any algae attaches. My question is with more sun should I maintain a higher CYA value? Is it reasonable to think that a warmer temp and more sun will equal a higher chance of getting algae? Also I now change the timer for the pump from twice a day 4 hours each to twice a day 7 hours each.

More sun and temp will get more FC, but if you need an increase in Cya, it won't be more than 10 PPM. Your FC has simply drifted lower more often than you think it has. I promise you it's that simple. I would suggest a full and complete SLAM, then back to diligent watching the FC and keeping it in range without fail. It will work I promise.

Thanks for the advice. I just completed a slam and now adjusting CYA level to 50 for better protection with the chlorine. I do have one more question about algecide. Is it ok to put maintenance doses of algaecide in with the bleach or should I rely on bleach only?

Thanks for all the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.