Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer gasket show or not show

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer gasket show or not show

Should the skimmer gasket be completely under the face plate or should the gasket show a bit? I can't get the butterfly gasket to cooperate. Either some shows or I can't get the gasket to stay under the face plate. Its a new gasket and a new skimmer on an old pool.
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer gasket show or not show

Have you trimmed the liner so it fits the gasket? In my case butterfly gasket did not fit well in the existing opening, I had to trim it a bit. The liner changed a bit over time.
    As for show, if it fits well and does not wrinkle, it can show out a little, so what.

Check for pitting/bubbling on the outside surface of the pool, if there is some, brush/sand and maybe even use some silicon caulk.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Morzh, I trimmed the liner to the exact skimmer hole, cut back the wall foam well.

My thought is either it should show evenly around or not at all. I reinstalled and it's still a bit off. I do have a spare gasket and will try that one.

No pitting of bubbling on metal but there is a wave in the metal wall. That doesn't seem the problem though.

photos below:

pool gasket 1_zpsyn8mw3x5.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

pool gasket 2_zpsd1hzmqtc.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

pool gasket 3_zps48fwurny.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

4. Back To Top    #4

I honestly do not see the problem. As long as it is covering the contour of the hole around the screws, so what if it protrudes a bit?
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by morzh View Post
    I honestly do not see the problem. As long as it is covering the contour of the hole around the screws, so what if it protrudes a bit?
    +1

As long as the inside edge of the gasket doesn't bind the weir door, & it doesn't leak, you are all good.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

ok I thought I posted a hip hip hooray, not. Finding leaks but at the threaded connections. Tightened.

Big problem is getting the hayward pump cover to seat properly and close with no water coming out. I lubed the gasket then line it the screw things and close but I'm not sure if I need a hammer to knock the lid to full close. Maybe I should lube the little screw wings things?

Any ideas? on getting lid tight?

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I got it on. There was excess plastic on the screw things, I added dry lube and it went on ok. I think I need another union. It's getting there!!!