Installing a skimmer in my Intex 15'x42"

Jul 7, 2015
Dallas, OR
Hi all. First time poster, long time reader. I have an Intex 15'x42" metal frame pool, this is the 3rd year of operation. Took down during the winter after the first year, left up year round after last season.

I'm getting ready to switch my pump filter situation from stock over to a 1hp pump and sand filter setup from my grandfather's old pool. In the process, I am going to be cutting out the **** rubber tube returns from the Intex, and installing Hayward standard 1.5" replacement returns. But my main concern is the skimmer.

I'm currently using the over the side skimmer from Intex. I bought and am going to install the Hayward Dynaskim through the wall. I have read every forum about this install, and am still so nervous.

My main question is this. Should I cut the liner, and then install the butterfly gasket as intended? How has this method held up for the people have done it?

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's input!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have just installed a skimmer in a Doughboy pool.
No I did not have to cut, just to trim the existing window as butterfly gaskets won't sit right if it is not right.
So, yes, usually they recommend using a wood board and cut against it with Exacto. Make a pattern, cut against the board. Yes, use butterfly gasket.
Poke holes with a nail.
It will be just fine.

Well....if you RTFM, everything should be fine. Measure twice, cut once. You know.

It is pretty much yhis: you know where your medium water line is, make it the middle of the bezel, but then see if the bezel is too high, or too low, and when sure, see if the bucket with the cover fits well at the same level and does not hit the top rail. Common sense things.

Here's how I did it: I did this while filling the pool when it was about half full. Install skimmer without gasket--I installed with the skimmer inside the pool for this step so I wouldn't have to stand in the cold water--cut liner inside of opening. Remove skimmer and install the butterfly gasket and reinstall skimmer. Done...

Here's how I did it: I did this while filling the pool when it was about half full. Install skimmer without gasket--I installed with the skimmer inside the pool for this step so I wouldn't have to stand in the cold water--cut liner inside of opening. Remove skimmer and install the butterfly gasket and reinstall skimmer. Done...

Exactly how I did it, except I only drained slightly below the bottom of the hole. Easy peasy! Just take a shot of whisky and start cutting!

temporary_zps43a4ed4a.jpg

I did it this way specifically because I did not want to split the butterfly gasket in half. No leaks, but you've got to tighten those screws down really tight. I ended up using a screwdriver bit in a ratchet wrench.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ran a combination of PVC and hose, you can see the skimmer install through the link in my signature.

When my entire family is enjoying the pool the walls will move a slight bit and I was concerned that rigid pipe all the way to the pump may crack or break something over time.

Dom

Well, I finished finally. Skimmer ended up being a little crooked when finished, but it works great! Decided to run 1.5" PVC from the pool, and then used hoses to do all of the pump and filter connections. I need to add another return jet, as I have massive pressure coming from the pump now.

585dd0139b942532d329e44c1a3980cb.jpg

0a3b1243ea6ecb694c89fae276668eea.jpg

50881943ebc0d6965f303ea446d8df0e.jpg

18e9b7a419a6c2e1fcd915de14cc50cb.jpg

c7b27a9d3508e76a3163eaf024167b15.jpg

Cool, any chance of a pic from the front so I can see what its like running?

I'm new to this and whilst was looking to keep mine up over the winter, I'm going to drain and take down with the intention of doing alot of things differently in the spring! This place is a goldmine for information.

Yeah, next time I have it uncovered I'll turn it on.

A note though, once you cut the Intex liners and install the skimmer or standard pool fittings, you CANNOT take it down again. The liner will stretch and tear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.