Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing a skimmer in my Intex 15'x42"

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing a skimmer in my Intex 15'x42"

Hi all. First time poster, long time reader. I have an Intex 15'x42" metal frame pool, this is the 3rd year of operation. Took down during the winter after the first year, left up year round after last season.

I'm getting ready to switch my pump filter situation from stock over to a 1hp pump and sand filter setup from my grandfather's old pool. In the process, I am going to be cutting out the **** rubber tube returns from the Intex, and installing Hayward standard 1.5" replacement returns. But my main concern is the skimmer.

I'm currently using the over the side skimmer from Intex. I bought and am going to install the Hayward Dynaskim through the wall. I have read every forum about this install, and am still so nervous.

My main question is this. Should I cut the liner, and then install the butterfly gasket as intended? How has this method held up for the people have done it?

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's input!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing a skimmer in my Intex 15'x42"

I have just installed a skimmer in a Doughboy pool.
    No I did not have to cut, just to trim the existing window as butterfly gaskets won't sit right if it is not right.
    So, yes, usually they recommend using a wood board and cut against it with Exacto. Make a pattern, cut against the board. Yes, use butterfly gasket.
    Poke holes with a nail.
    It will be just fine.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't currently have a through the wall skimmer, so this cut will be completely brand new. That's why I'm nervous.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well....if you RTFM, everything should be fine. Measure twice, cut once. You know.

It is pretty much yhis: you know where your medium water line is, make it the middle of the bezel, but then see if the bezel is too high, or too low, and when sure, see if the bucket with the cover fits well at the same level and does not hit the top rail. Common sense things.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's how I did it: I did this while filling the pool when it was about half full. Install skimmer without gasket--I installed with the skimmer inside the pool for this step so I wouldn't have to stand in the cold water--cut liner inside of opening. Remove skimmer and install the butterfly gasket and reinstall skimmer. Done...
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Whatever eorks, it is simple. In my case two cutouts, skimmer mouth and vac port, puncture holes with a nail or an owl using bezel as the pattern, voila.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    Here's how I did it: I did this while filling the pool when it was about half full. Install skimmer without gasket--I installed with the skimmer inside the pool for this step so I wouldn't have to stand in the cold water--cut liner inside of opening. Remove skimmer and install the butterfly gasket and reinstall skimmer. Done...

Exactly how I did it, except I only drained slightly below the bottom of the hole. Easy peasy! Just take a shot of whisky and start cutting!

I did it this way specifically because I did not want to split the butterfly gasket in half. No leaks, but you've got to tighten those screws down really tight. I ended up using a screwdriver bit in a ratchet wrench.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you really have to tighten the screws down. Otherwise it's easy. I measured about 8 times before cutting it
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

9. Back To Top    #9

The magic number is 7.

10. Back To Top    #10

Any suggestions on plumbing? I was going to do all 1.5" rigid pvc, but now am thinking about using some flexible pvc coming off of the pool...

11. Back To Top    #11

There are pros and cons with both, with small AGPs I find it easier to deal with hoses, but obviously there are others who prefer rigid piping.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I ran a combination of PVC and hose, you can see the skimmer install through the link in my signature.

When my entire family is enjoying the pool the walls will move a slight bit and I was concerned that rigid pipe all the way to the pump may crack or break something over time.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, I finished finally. Skimmer ended up being a little crooked when finished, but it works great! Decided to run 1.5" PVC from the pool, and then used hoses to do all of the pump and filter connections. I need to add another return jet, as I have massive pressure coming from the pump now.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

That looks great! Here's what I see. The skimmer is perfect. It's the pool that's crooked.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah, the pool is a little off level. By no more than an inch!

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi bogeyman02,

The PVC pipe clipped to the top bar of your pool in your second picture, whats it for?

Thanks in advance
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (8403 gallons). Intex SandFilter SF20220R (10030 liters/hr (2650 gallons/hr)) with glass media , Geobubble Sol Guard 500 Cover, 4x Athena Sun Domes

17. Back To Top    #17

That's my fountain.

18. Back To Top    #18

Cool, any chance of a pic from the front so I can see what its like running?

I'm new to this and whilst was looking to keep mine up over the winter, I'm going to drain and take down with the intention of doing alot of things differently in the spring! This place is a goldmine for information.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (8403 gallons). Intex SandFilter SF20220R (10030 liters/hr (2650 gallons/hr)) with glass media , Geobubble Sol Guard 500 Cover, 4x Athena Sun Domes

19. Back To Top    #19

Yeah, next time I have it uncovered I'll turn it on.

A note though, once you cut the Intex liners and install the skimmer or standard pool fittings, you CANNOT take it down again. The liner will stretch and tear.