CYA Reagent

My CYA according to a water test at a pool store was 30; so I added to gallons of liquid CYA. This was because I was out of Reagent. The pool calculator said I needed about 180oz. I added 2 gallons. I bought some blue devil reagent off of Amazon. When I tested I got 30 again. Are there different strengths of reagent?

Thanks--

Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Thanks. I guess it is either order that or order the Blue Devil test kit (is it as accurate?).

On the other hand could I go to Taylor and order the R-0013 there--https://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_reagent_Info.asp?MarketID=-1&ReagentID=2317? They sell larger sizes than the 8 oz bottle from the TFT site. I was hoping to have a larger size--its a bit cheaper, and I don't have to reorder as often...

I see I could order it on Amazon as well, but I see that Taylor recommends getting new reagent every year anyway... Perhaps I'm better off with the smaller bottle even though I ran through it pretty quickly last year getting things right. Thoughts?

--Al

Yeah not thinking too well that day. I'll remember that next time. An earlier test had indicated that my volume estimate for the pool in the calculator was low, but (in retrospect) probably not low enough for two gallons. Leslie's wanted me to use three...

Ah... 2 is definitely better than 3. I could see how them telling you to add three battled with what you knew up to that point even though you knew better. I would probably do the same thing and reason myself down from three to two if I were in your shoes. I have that same battle every time I buy a new car. I always say I'm not buying the extended warranty but then fight with myself until I buy one.

:).

Well I'm still waiting on new reagent; so I took a sample back to Leslie's. They say I'm just below 60. Either their test is off or my volume estimate is way off. I'm going to wait on my reagent and redo my volume calculation.

--Al

Well, the R0013 reagent arrived, and I did my own test. I got less than 30. Actually, I was able to fill the tube and still see the black dot. This is basically the same result I got with Blue Devil reagent. It actually might have indicated a very slightly higher CYA. Anyway, any idea what might be going wrong with the CYA test? Should I just blame gremlins and rerun the test, or is there something else that I ought to check?

Thanks--

Al

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.