Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Reagent

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Reagent

My CYA according to a water test at a pool store was 30; so I added to gallons of liquid CYA. This was because I was out of Reagent. The pool calculator said I needed about 180oz. I added 2 gallons. I bought some blue devil reagent off of Amazon. When I tested I got 30 again. Are there different strengths of reagent?

Thanks--

Al

My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Reagent

Yes, and the Blue Devil will not work with the TF100 sorry. You need Taylor R-0013. Cancel, and re-order that one.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

OK. Thanks. I guess it is either order that or order the Blue Devil test kit (is it as accurate?).

On the other hand could I go to Taylor and order the R-0013 there--https://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_reagent_Info.asp?MarketID=-1&ReagentID=2317? They sell larger sizes than the 8 oz bottle from the TFT site. I was hoping to have a larger size--its a bit cheaper, and I don't have to reorder as often...

I see I could order it on Amazon as well, but I see that Taylor recommends getting new reagent every year anyway... Perhaps I'm better off with the smaller bottle even though I ran through it pretty quickly last year getting things right. Thoughts?

--Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

4. Back To Top    #4

If the calculator said add 180oz, why would you dump in 256 oz? If any anything, dumping in 1 gallon (128oz) would be a good starting point.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah not thinking too well that day. I'll remember that next time. An earlier test had indicated that my volume estimate for the pool in the calculator was low, but (in retrospect) probably not low enough for two gallons. Leslie's wanted me to use three...

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah... 2 is definitely better than 3. I could see how them telling you to add three battled with what you knew up to that point even though you knew better. I would probably do the same thing and reason myself down from three to two if I were in your shoes. I have that same battle every time I buy a new car. I always say I'm not buying the extended warranty but then fight with myself until I buy one.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA Reagent

Well I'm still waiting on new reagent; so I took a sample back to Leslie's. They say I'm just below 60. Either their test is off or my volume estimate is way off. I'm going to wait on my reagent and redo my volume calculation.

--Al

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, the R0013 reagent arrived, and I did my own test. I got less than 30. Actually, I was able to fill the tube and still see the black dot. This is basically the same result I got with Blue Devil reagent. It actually might have indicated a very slightly higher CYA. Anyway, any idea what might be going wrong with the CYA test? Should I just blame gremlins and rerun the test, or is there something else that I ought to check?

Thanks--

Al