draining pool and starting anew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix
Good Afternoon pool geeks,
In order to get rid of our high level of CYA, we decided the best thing to do would be to drain the pool and start a new.
We are draining our 25000 gallon pebble tec pool tonight and refilling with fresh water. It should be full by Friday night.
A few questions:
What do I need to add to the pool to get it up to par?
Send me some helpful links on what should be in my water and at what levels.
Thanks in advance.
For the meantime I shall be looking arounf the forum for answers to my questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First add CYA, 30 ppm in a sock or two in the skimmer baskets. And add 3ppm bleach. Plain, unscented, NO easy pour or splashproof.

Keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8
The next day after you add CYA assume your CYA is at the 30ppm and chlorinate your pool according to the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is very important to keep chlorine level at target or slightly higher at all times for your CYA level. Letting it drop below minimum will leave the pool unsanitary and allow algae to grow.

Is it a saltwater pool? If yes do this, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

If you add your pool info to your signature then we can give better info specific to your pool, Pool School - Getting Started

Here are the pages to start with.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

We can work on TA and PH in the next few weeks.

I'll go ahead and say it ..... Fas dpd chlorine test....can be had on amazon for $30. And a cya test . Might as well buy the taylor k-2006. After your last thread was locked why be cute and address us as geeks?.... SMH.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to sound like a (edited for politeness) but what else should we use? Gallons of 25000 gallons of distilled? Heehee...yes. Tap water from front and back hose.

Bulk water delivery

Last edited by a moderator:
Go easy now. I prefer to be addressed as a pool snob.

A whole lot of people use well water and it makes a huge difference in what you might be starting out with in the water.

Some people have water trucked in like kimkats said.

So there ya go. You thought there was only one kind of water but alas there are many.

I even saw a thread the other day about using ocean water! (that was quite an interesting debate.)

I emailed you this link but I'm going to put it up here too.

Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

That's coming up for me as k 2006 and it has free shipping because it's over $35. Does it show as free shipping for you too? (For all I know it's something about my location that makes it free.)

I have a traditional tap water pool. I live in a city so we will be using city water from two garden hoses.
I am having a hard time reading anything within the Pool School. The background is black with white font. It hurts my eyes.
You said put the cya in a sock in the skimmer. So I assume you mean granules?

- - - Updated - - -

Ya it's free shipping. But I am seeing the price at $53.99 not $35.

Yeah it comes in powder/granules and liquid. The liquid is quite a bit more expensive.

You should be able to get the powder stuff at wal-mart for cheaper than the pool store. Wal-mart in my area carries the clorox branded pool stuff and their cya is labeled "Chlorine stabilizer"

Are you looking at the forum on a computer or a phone or tablet? It's all shades of white light blue and grey on my computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the kit shows as 54.99 for me the free shipping is because it's *over* $35 and fulfilled by Amazon. You could still try locally for a K-2005 and "upgrade" your chlorine test at some point from amazon. You'd have to buy 2 things though so I'm not sure you'd save any money because I don't know how much they sell that 2005 for in pool stores. (when they actually have it)

Somebody else had the black background issue recently. Something about a setting in their device. Maybe try another device, check your settings or print them, they aren't that big.

You mentioned being budget minded in your other thread, so granules is the way to go. It's about $4.00 per pound at hardware stores or Walmart in the pool section. In these locations it comes in 4lb canisters. I would suggest those.

Oh, and your tap water is fine.

Themamacurd has been permanently banned for disrespect towards a moderator. It is very acceptable to be ignorant of pools and ignorant of what we teach and it is equally acceptable to disagree with what we teach.

It is totally unacceptable to display the kind of vitriol towards ANY member of this forum that themamacurd posted to a Mod in a PM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.