Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member from Oregon

1. Back To Top    #1

New member from Oregon

Just got our first above ground pool an Intex 15' X 42". So I'll most likely ask a few dumb questions but hopefully a few goods ones mixed in there to.

First question what chemicals and tools will I be needing ?
    Should I be checking the water ph once a week or more often the use will be fairly light the four of us and a few friends.

Thanks for any and all help
    Kev

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member from Oregon

Hello Kev and welcome! First - no dumb questions. For chemicals, keep this handy: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. Focus on adding CYA to about 30, get PH to about 7.2-7.8, and put some regular liquid bleach in your water to keep it sanitized. FC level at about 2-3 until your stabilizer starts to build in a few days. You can use the Poolmath calculator to help you figure out how much to add.

Most important - the right test kit. Not strips or pool store. Go to this site TFTestkits.net and look at the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. These kits will not let you down.

Review this info and let us know if you have any more questions. Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

This chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart will also be key to your success.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help this info has provided
    Above ground Intex 15' X 42" Intex pool