Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge not filtering the small stuff

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge not filtering the small stuff

I have a lot of trees and bugs. They breakdown on the bottom, I vaccuum them up and they come right back out through the jet. I cleaned the filter before vacuuming and after. Also the housing the filter sits in has some of the small stuff in the bottom when I pull out the cartridge...I had thus problem last year and we concluded the filter housing wasn't tightened enough. Now I have no clue and it's annoying vacuuming what I already vaccuumed!

Any ideas?
    13k above ground, round, vinyl. Hayward C1250 ASL series . Got the pool and pump free!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cartridge not filtering the small stuff

is the filter itself intact? are there any holes or tears or seperation.. there should be no way for anything bigger than 3 to 10 microns coming back into your pool.. I dont know about you but I can not see what 3 microns is
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, check air purge screen and tube in the filter. If the screen came off the tube it will allow small debris through.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Also, check air purge screen and tube in the filter. If the screen came off the tube it will allow small debris through.
    Mark, forgot about that, good catch..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    I have no idea what that is!?!

As far as I can tell there are no tears or rips and it seems fully intact.
    13k above ground, round, vinyl. Hayward C1250 ASL series . Got the pool and pump free!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Kkarrj View Post
    I have no idea what that is!?!

As far as I can tell there are no tears or rips and it seems fully intact.
    I just looked at your manual and this filter does not look like it has that tube.. The pentair filters have a tube down the middle with a screen on top to allow water to flow even if the filters are completely clogged.

your filter has to have some kind of bypass but i can not find it in the manual

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I wonder if your filters have some kind of calcium or something clogging them even if they look clean.. How and what are you cleaning them with? Just a hose, filter cleaning solution? something like this Amazon.com: GLB Pool Garden

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a hose with a nozzle like they talked about on another thread and I recently tried using tsp and that did make a difference. I wondered about calcium or lime scale because I have well water but can that build up from rinsing? I had no idea there were cleaning solutions made just for the filter I'll check it out thanks!