Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter pump

1. Back To Top    #1

filter pump

We replaced our Filter Pump motor in December. Now our pool skimmers don't work so well and the two fountains flowing from the spa don't have the same arc they had before. I've discussed my concern that the pump is not functioning well with the company who installed it. The motor is under warrenty for 1 year. What can I do to prove to them it's not functionng properly? Thank you for your help. It would have been wiser to buy it and install it myself, but I was out of town at the time the old pump died and the weather conditions were freezing. Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
    Tracy -- 30,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool with above ground SPA (two fountains). Controller(s): Zodiac iAquaLink2.0 + Jandy AQPLM AquaPalm Salt Water Generator: Hayward AquaRite Salt Generator Complete 40,000 Gallons | Power Center and Salt Cell Kit | AQR15 Filter: Pentair FNS60 50 p.si., Model sm20-2, rated flow 125 GPM Cleaner: Polaris Heater: Pool Pump:SQ FL FR 2HP EE 230V Pentair Superflow Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter pump

Did they replace the impeller when they replaced the motor? That's about the only way it would make much difference in the amount of flow.
    What was the filter pressure before they replaced the motor? And after?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The filter pressure was 25 psi at the time of replacement and now reads 28psi. They did not replace the impeller when they replaced the motor.
    Tracy -- 30,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool with above ground SPA (two fountains). Controller(s): Zodiac iAquaLink2.0 + Jandy AQPLM AquaPalm Salt Water Generator: Hayward AquaRite Salt Generator Complete 40,000 Gallons | Power Center and Salt Cell Kit | AQR15 Filter: Pentair FNS60 50 p.si., Model sm20-2, rated flow 125 GPM Cleaner: Polaris Heater: Pool Pump:SQ FL FR 2HP EE 230V Pentair Superflow Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The filter pressure rising indicates that the pump is actually doing a better job than it was previously. I'd suspect the filter needs a good cleaning. When was the last time it was torn down and cleaned really well? DE filters have a tendency to build up DE and increase head over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

5/14 was when I had the filter professionally torn down and cleaned. Should I have to clean it every year?

6. Back To Top    #6

You should tear it down and clean it at least every year, and you may need to have it done more often depending on how often you backwash and recharge it.
    Also, when it's backwashed you should only be adding about 80% of the DE of a new charge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I backwashed it and replaced 80% of the DE in April. Thanks for the tip about cleaning it every year. Will take care of that now.