Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Three SLAMs this year?

1. Back To Top    #1

Three SLAMs this year?

I have done two SLAMs one just ending last Saturday. The first one occurred because my flow sensor on my SWG had to be replaced. The second one occurred a week and a half later and I have no reason why that would have happened as I maintain my pool like most of you religiously. Both SLAMs ended with all three criteria being met. My pool has not been as sparkly since I had to do the initial SLAM.

I raised FC last night to 10.5 to do an OCLT and failed this morning with a morning test of FC 8.5 and CC 0.

Current #s

FC 8.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    CH 250
    TA 70
    CYA 70
    Borates 50

During the second SLAM, I did find algae in my pool light and under the rungs of the deep end ladder. I checked both places this morning and they are algae free.

Any ideas? I suppose I will start another SLAM this afternoon when I get back home unless someone has any insight.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Three SLAMs this year?

well I guess it should be a pretty quick SLAM...my salt cell went bad a couple of weeks ago and didn't catch it till my FC went to zero. I did a SLAM and only took two days/nights and was done.

What do you maintain your FC levels at normally?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

I normally maintain them between 6 and 7. My last SLAM was only one day as it cleared and passed the OCLT test the next morning. I just don't want to get into this cycle if there is something more going on.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah, 6 is above the minimum, so not sure why it would allow algae, unless your CYA is a bit higher than you thought and FC is dropping early in the day before your SWCG is running. are you testing 6 at the end of the day, after the SWCG has finished?? if so, that means your FC was probably down to around 4 and it brought it up. that constant drop down to minimum, or slightly minimum could be enough to get some algae going and then the FC level of 5-6 wasn't enough to overcome the growth rate.

personally when I did my SLAM, I passed the OCLT and kept it at SLAM level one additional date and then re-confirmed OCLT again. I lost 0.5ppm instead of 1ppm. one extra day wont hurt you.

also, I keep my FC a bit higher now. I have same CYA as you do and I keep my FC at 8-9. I check in the evening after its done, so that's the max (9) and figure I drop to 7 at parts of the day. gives a bit more buffer I think. still cant detect chlorine or anything when I swim and no stingy eyes, etc.

might be some thing to think about.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

I usually test in the evening and the FC is usually around 8-9. My pool is in sun from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM. I occasionally test int he morning just to make sure and it is never below 6 in the morning prior to the SWG coming on from 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6

Does anyone know if old school (the pool was built in 1989) ladder end caps can be removed to see if there is algae inside the rails?

7. Back To Top    #7

What about an automatic pool cleaner/vac/robot? Mine had some algae inside it. Bottom drain under the cover?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I am the automated pool cleaner and I don't have any algae on me! No bottom drain.

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL! I am the junior automated pool cleaner in training!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach