Intex ultra frame pool - Hayward bug not working help help

Jul 16, 2015
Canada
so this is long story for what is driving me to drink if i don't get this to work.

So here is the long story. We had an old 16x16 intex ultra frame pool and a 1600 gph sand filter pump, We also installed a side of the pool skimmer. Everything worked great until this year.
A mouse decided to set up condo colony with all her friends and babies in the pool over the winter while it was stored. Two huge holes. Called Intex and our pool liner was discounted so we decided to buy a new pool (exact same but updated) so we had new fitting etc. It was a little different since there were 2 holes and hoses where the water was pulled into the filter instead of the one hole our old pool had. The old pool had one hole that we attached a hang on the side skimmer and it filtered the water thru there to filter but now we have 2 hoses and the skimmer is attached to one (see pic).

I excitedly order a Hayward bug vacuum after watching instructions on line and thought it could work with our pool last season

Then last week the pump decided it didn't want to work anymore after working fine for 2 weeks (we are not speaking now).. Since we had order a whole new pool we had the new sand filter pump they supplied and everything worked out ok, it is only 1050gph pump.

So I open the bug, doesn't work. Is the pump not strong enough. What am I doing wrong. I plugged the bug into the filter itself then tried the skimmer and nothing. Do i have to cover the other valve opposite the skimmer so it gets more suctions. I'm confused about if i keep open the valves coming from and away from the pool or do i close them.

I am so confused any assistance would have me indebted to you for life. !!!

Michelle
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Try it with all the suction through the bug. Don't be surprised if you have less than stellar results. Those things need a lot of suction to work even half way respectably. I'm sorry to sound negative, but those cleaners leave a little to be desired IMO. Good luck with it.

it does not look like you can stop the flow from your skimmer. can you put a tennis ball or something to block that flow and see if that works.. also you went from a 1600 to 1050 gallon pump and that has alot to do with suction...

I'm thinking a bigger pump is in order. Anyone know what is a good size pump that will work with my 16x16 pool plus the salt water chlorinater.

Also can anyone enlighten me on where I should attach the hose. Attach to the intake that the skimmer is attached to or the filter itself. Also should the valve coming to and from the pool be in the closed or open position.

Ahhhhh. I would give a million dollars to have my old pool back with the one hole and big pump

I was told by someone on this site who said they were from Hayward that my 3000gph was not big enough. Mine never worked either (or it worked once or twice then stopped).
I got an Aquabot pool rover and it was nice until it stopped working after 2 weeks. Currently getting it fixed under warranty. Thinking I'm fated to manually vacuum my pool.
Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.