Hayward Max-Flo vsp and solar heating

Jul 15, 2015
Florida
I wish I would've found this site before my pool build.

It looks like my PB installed the sp2302vsp. I had mentioned to them that I wanted to add solar at a later date, but maybe failed to tell them I wanted it automated. Either way that date is here. Based on what Im reading the sp2302vsp can not be controlled by any outside controller. I needed to have them install the sp2302VSPND instead which has automation capabilities.

Im a little disappointed now and I guess my options are..

1. Manual control the solar system by actuating the solar valve and changing to another vs on the pump itself.

2. Run the pump continuously on a speed capable of pumping through the solar panels and buy an automated controller for the valve. This would obviously defeat the purpose of owning a vsp.

3. Replace my brand new pump?

Please tell me I am misunderstanding my pump. Any other creative ideas?

Worked on some of my options today.

I found some helicol panels on CL.
7 panels at the recommended 5 GPM is 35 GPM
About 10ft of head plus piping im guessing 20 ft HL?
Pump speed required while solar is operating will be 2100 RPM

Normal run speed is 1200 rpm - 77/w - .01/hr - .08/day - $2.40/month
Solar run speed 2100 rpm - 366/w - .05/hr - .38/day - $11.40/month

Option 1 Manual operation of solar
$2.40 per month plus .05 hr of solar run time

Option 2 continuos solar speed and automated solar
$11.40 a month.

Being in central florida with a non screened pool, no solar is required in summer so I would be able to use lower run rates in the summer. Are there any other central florida non screened pool owners who can estimate when their solars kick in and starts heating the pool? Estimated solar run times sept-nov and feb-april?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. The only control you have is to cycle on/off power, in order to use the automated countdown timer.

Stupid, yes, but apparently Hayward had to find a way to produce a less expensive vs pump. So, they cut out a very important part of the automation.

There is a low voltage terminal jack port connection inside the control housing. Not sure if Hayward has come up with a wired external controller you could connect to it. Or if a firmware update is possible to use the wired controller.

I'm looking at using a digital Intermatic control to cycle power at certain times to start the timer sequence.

Here's what I'm looking at.
Amazon.com: Intermatic CA3750 InTouch Wireless Multi-Volt 120-277VAC Contactor Module: Home Improvement
It is z-wave to use with my home automation system.

How, exactly are you trying to automate the system? Cycle times etc..?

I was only looking at automating the solar by controlling the valve with an aqua solar gl-235, or similar controller capable of controlling a pump as well. The problem is (as you know)there is no way to tell the pump when it need to throttle up or down with outside automation, only with the built in timers. The pump would then always have to run at the higher speed to be ready if the system switched the solar on. Defeating the purpose of the VS pump.

I just run my pump at a higher speed for a few hours in the morning which gets the solar working and cleans up the pool, then the speed drops back. Most of my solar heating is done in that first couple hours of my programmed run time. Also, once the panels are filled and the solar is working it takes less to continue the flow. Not a perfect solution, but the VS pump still saves me a lot compared to my old single speed 2 hp one.

Having the automated solar controller open and close the solar valve when heat is available made a big difference in my overall heat gain in my pool. I would definitely recommend automating the solar valve.

Having the automated solar controller open and close the solar valve when heat is available made a big difference in my overall heat gain in my pool. I would definitely recommend automating the solar valve.

My solar valve is automated, but my pump is controlled by its own onboard timer. "when heat is available"??? Generally in Tucson, if it's daylight, heat is available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.