Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Debris Near Return Jet - Is This Normal????

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Debris Near Return Jet - Is This Normal????

The last two years I have noticed that the return jet closest to the pump always seems to have fine dirt accumulate under it. Probably about a foot or two away from the wall, obviously coming out of the return jet. I pull my DE screens out every fall at closing and spray them off good and then store them inside to dry. I have added the proper amount of DE to the filter (per the filter specs) and the pressure is kept within proper parameters.

I say I noticed it over the last two years but feel its probably been happening longer because I used to have a Polaris that ran every day (on a timer). When the pump went bad, I switched to a robot that I put in when it looks dirty. But that one area ALWAYS seems to have debris accumulation in it. Is this normal or is there something I need to check/do in order to get this resolved.

As always, I appreciate any help you guys give me.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Debris Near Return Jet - Is This Normal????

There should never be debris coming from your return. That usually indicates a problem with the filter. Try holding a clean white sock over a return for a few minutes and see if you collect anything in there. If you do, you will need to inspect the grids for tears in the fabric and/or cracked plastic on the grids themselves.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I pulled the filter apart and inspected the filters. I don't see any tears in the fabric but there seem to be some broken ribs inside some of the elements. The plastic housing they all plug into seems to be fine as does the small tube coming out the top of it. Would this allow debris to pass through somehow? I currently have the Unicel FG-1005 filter elements. What's else should I check before just replacing all the filter elements.

Currently running on recirculate. Please help.....

4. Back To Top    #4

Was reading through posts here and found some people had issues with their multiport valve gasket causing this issue. Is that a possibility in my case? What's the next thing I should check? Also, how often do you typically have to replace DE filter elements?

FYI - my DE filter is a Hayward 60 square foot filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The filter elements are good until they break or tear. Sometimes small tears can be patched. If your filter has a multiport valve you can remove the top section to inspect the spider gasket. A worn or displaced spider gasket can allow things to get past the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes because of the way returns are angled it encourages any debris in the pool to accumulate in one area or another. Could this in fact be what you're seeing?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I took the multi port apart and inspected the spider gasket. It looks fine. When I put it back together I realized the gasket was flat on one side and had a ridge on the other. Does the ridge go up or down??

If it's not the filter elements or spider gasket, what else could it be??

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You do not say what brand of filter?
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Sometimes because of the way returns are angled it encourages any debris in the pool to accumulate in one area or another. Could this in fact be what you're seeing?
    I was thinking the same thing. My jets are angled slightly towards the surface & dirt seems to accumulate under them. I think they create an eddy that dirt & bugs get caught in & eventually sink to the bottom.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir