Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA get used up, or does it remain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Does CYA get used up, or does it remain?

Just curious if CYA levels drop with time?

Also, it sure seems to take a long time for CYA to dissolve.....I am doing the sock hanging infront of return jet method suggested by a member here.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Does CYA get used up, or does it remain?

They drop only through splash out and back washing. CYA remains in the water. It is not used up, nor is it lost with evaporation. Only in rare cases is it converted to ammonia by a bacteria between seasons. Other than that it stays in the water.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, good to know.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some of the CYA is in fact broken down by the chlorine. But it is usually only around 2 to 3 ppm per month.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are also some inconsistent reports of people losing 10 ppm CYA per month so it is possible that in full sun the losses might be somewhat higher, but not everyone sees this. You just can't count on the CYA dropping enough to be able to use only Trichlor, unless you have other sources of significant water dilution such as a small pool with backwashing a sand filter and summer rain overflow.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Hope this might be useful from an amateur... CYA might drop very slowly. After my last year's 2/3 draining and getting it down to 50, it's now about 40, probably mostly from backwashing and winterizing. However, using just hypochlorite all the time (12.5%, aka liquid shock), the CYA (measured by Taylor kit) continued to drop very slowly. I now sorta alternate liquid and occasional dichlor powder, the latter to maintain the CYA in the 40 ppm range. I simply switch the filter valve to Recirc to add them thru the skimmer and then switch back to Filter; then stir it up for 2-3 hours/day. Works well. (But make sure--as I learnt--to add stuff and stir either in early morning or evening to reduce loss from sunlight breakdown.) In my 16x32 IG pool, I use about 1 qt 12.5% liquid or 1/3 lb of dichlor per day. And it' sparkling clean, free chlorine (at midday) 2-3 ppm. Note too that I keep my pH fairly low, around 7.2 (chlorine effectiveness goes down drastically with higher pH, > 7.4). Note also that although liquid hypochlorite is extremely alkaline out of the bottle, it ends up neutral when it breaks down and releases its chlorine, and doesn't raise the pool pH.
    Long Island NY. Old 16x32 vinyl, basic IG pool. 3 ft shallow, 8 ft deep end. Ca. 22K gal. 1 hp Hayward pump, Triton II T60 sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

@ Jo Jesty, I have added a few comments below in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jesty View Post
    Hope this might be useful from an amateur... CYA might drop very slowly. After my last year's 2/3 draining and getting it down to 50, it's now about 40, probably mostly from backwashing and winterizing. However, using just hypochlorite all the time (12.5%, aka liquid shock), the CYA (measured by Taylor kit) continued to drop very slowly. I now sorta alternate liquid and occasional dichlor powder, the latter to maintain the CYA in the 40 ppm range. I simply switch the filter valve to Recirc to add them thru the skimmer and then switch back to Filter; then stir it up for 2-3 hours/day. Works well.
    TFP does not recommend added any chemical directly through the skimmer to avoid potential damage to the equipment.

(But make sure--as I learnt--to add stuff and stir either in early morning or evening to reduce loss from sunlight breakdown.) In my 16x32 IG pool, I use about 1 qt 12.5% liquid or 1/3 lb of dichlor per day. And it' sparkling clean, free chlorine (at midday) 2-3 ppm.
    If your CYA is maintained at 40ppm, to be sure of keep algae away, you need to keep the FC ABOVE 3ppm at all times and not let it drop below that by the next time you add chlorine.

Note too that I keep my pH fairly low, around 7.2 (chlorine effectiveness goes down drastically with higher pH, > 7.4).
    This is not true when there is CYA in the water. With CYA present, the chlorine effectiveness degradation is greatly reduced to the point where it is nothing to worry about when the pH in the in normal pool ranges.

Note also that although liquid hypochlorite is extremely alkaline out of the bottle, it ends up neutral when it breaks down and releases its chlorine, and doesn't raise the pool pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!