Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on tile/plaster/coping selection?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions on tile/plaster/coping selection?

Was hoping to get some opinions on the choices we're making for our remodel. Here's a couple of pictures of the pool (sorry, I know they're not great, - I'll try to get a better one but this should give you a sense).

pool.jpg

PoolBIG.jpg

We're doing a basic plaster (no quartz, etc), so we're planning to go with a white. We're replacing the coping (currently red bullnose brick) with flagstone. We're thinking of the tile below (also found at http://nobletile.com/celtic-castle/ - we'd be doing the Kilkea Blue).

Kilkea2.jpg

What do you think of the color combination? My wife is having second thoughts about the blue tile because she doesn't want it to look too much like a public pool, but I don't think that's an issue.

Also, if we're not going to do a quartz or pebble plaster, we should avoid adding color and just go with white, correct? Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions on tile/plaster/coping selection?

Personally I like a tan tile as to let the water be the pop of color. That said check out Crystal Lake by noble tile, it was my second choice.
    If not doing Quartz or pebble I would definitely stick with white plaster. I have read and heard a lot about color plaster molting.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE you waterline tile pick. I like the pop of blue. With you going with white plaster it will set the whole pool off!

I agree with Amanda on the plaster. I have heard of way too many colored plaster molting!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input so far.

5. Back To Top    #5

All I can add is what we're doing (demo started today)

Florida Stucco white cement with extra bags of blue quartz for the pool, and Hawaiian blue for the spa
    Antique Blend travertine 6x12 coping
    6x6 rust/natural water line tile for pool
    Artic Ocean blue 1x1 glass for the spa face, spa spillway, spa waterline. We're actually cutting down the spillway to make the whole face an 'infinity' type spillway

Our idea is to make the spa 'pop', and make the pool classic, without the eye candy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chops101 View Post
    All I can add is what we're doing (demo started today)

Florida Stucco white cement with extra bags of blue quartz for the pool, and Hawaiian blue for the spa
    Antique Blend travertine 6x12 coping
    6x6 rust/natural water line tile for pool
    Artic Ocean blue 1x1 glass for the spa face, spa spillway, spa waterline. We're actually cutting down the spillway to make the whole face an 'infinity' type spillway

Our idea is to make the spa 'pop', and make the pool classic, without the eye candy.
    Sounds really unique, be sure to post pictures!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I really like the Kilkea blue color. However, IF your wife is really concerned about the public pool look, the Windsor Grey is a softer blue, with quite a bit of grey that would probably blend beautifully with the flagstone, giving a softer more natural look.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ascew View Post
    I really like the Kilkea blue color. However, IF your wife is really concerned about the public pool look, the Windsor Grey is a softer blue, with quite a bit of grey that would probably blend beautifully with the flagstone, giving a softer more natural look.
    Helpful, thanks - so if the worry about the public pool look were minor, you'd go for the Kilkea it sounds like?

9. Back To Top    #9

It really depends on what you want the "look" to be. I think the kilkea tiles is a gorgeous blue and will really make the pool pop. Personnally, I think that tile has too much depth and dynamic to look "public pool". With the flagstone coping, absolutely does not say public pool to me. Also, I see red cushions on your furniture outside, which tells me "Pop" is good. So, with that in mind, yes, I would say the Kilkea tiles. My personal taste is more of a natural look, so I would probably go with the windsor blue for my pool.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Great - we ended up going with the Kilkea blue. Thanks for all the input!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Congrats - that's a fabulous tile! It's a winner!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you are going to love that tile.

So....when does this project kick off?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Ascew View Post
    I think you are going to love that tile.

So....when does this project kick off?
    We actually started a couple of days ago!

During the demo:

Pool6.jpg

Pool5.jpg

And yesterday they got most of the tile done and the flagstone laid out:

Pool1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

NICE progress! Sweet!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Looking good so far!

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the positive words so far! We're excited with how it's coming along.

They're done with the tile and flagstone and did the plaster prep today:

Plaster prep 1.jpg

Plaster prep 2.jpg

17. Back To Top    #17

Oh wow! That looks fabulous! Doesn't even look like the same pool!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

I love the color combo!!!!!!!! NICE pick!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

What a difference already! You must be thrilled!
    I like new look of the spa / spillway.

20. Back To Top    #20

Great looking pool! We have the same waterline tile for our pool picked so it is exciting to see a finished pool with it.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast