Intellichlor IC20 and Fuses?

Apr 14, 2014
Jamison PA
I've seen a few threads on this and am now experiencing the same issue. checked the pool Tuesday morning, saw no lights on my IC 20. Ok, blown fuse. I replaced the fuse yesterday (nothing at the local stores except for a complete kit...ouch) and this morning checked the salt cell, and lo and behold, blown fuse. Everything seems to be fine otherwise. I have a ground wire running out of the power center, everything is grounded. Anyone have any ideas on a multimeter setting which I should check or anything? My pb is mum on the issue - although we are currently having other issues with him. Any thing that I need to know Chemistry-wise?

Here's my chemistry as of yesterday

Temp : 84
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 225
CYA 70
salt 3000

I just cleaned the cartridge filter yesterday as well. Pressure is 21.

I think my details are in my sig, but I have a 13,500 gallon Viking Triton fiberglass pool. Pool was installed Dec 2013. All the equipment is Pentair, including their Whisperflo single speed pump.

I did notice that when I replaced the fuse the cell was reading high salt. I was surprised about that!

The fuse just protects the power center. If the fuse blows it is because the SWG is drawing too much current or the Power Center is bad. I can't picture how any chemistry issues would cause this.

I'd try a couple of things. Remove the SWG and see if there is any build up inside, if so that might cause the issue. Another thing that you can try is unplugging the SWG from the power center and see if the fuse continues to blow. If it does, the power center is bad.

Are you sure your replacement fuse was the right amperage and blow rate?

All that said, I would assume that this unit is still under the three year warranty. Call Pentair and see what they have to say.

Jim R.

The first thing I did was pull the cell. It's sparkling clean! I also bought the Pentair official replacement kit so i would hope they would put a correct fuse in...I looks like a 10a 250v slow blow fuse though.

I'll try unplugging the swg from the power center and see if I can get the fuse to go. Just bought 3 more fuses...also have the pb calling pentair I just heard they're pains with water chemistry and warranty replacement.

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE:

So things have gotten interesting in the last few days...

Called Pentair support and they assigned a warranty case to me, after first telling me that my salt was too low (3000ppm) and I would be charged if they came out to find low salt, even after explaining the sensor read high salt before.

Then this morning, had my neighbor stop by with the cover (with all the buttons) of my IC20 cell in his hand. Apparently, he was in the garage and it blew 10 feet up in the air and sailed over to the fenceline (which is about 20 feet away)! Nevertheless, I called Pentair back right away and now the PB was authorized in 20 minutes to put a replacement cell in. It's now leaking water...

"Sometimes the seal fails" was the response I got, which apparently can cause the cell to leak and short out (blown fuse).

So I hope to be off of liquid Chlorine by the end of the week!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.