Pump too powerful

May 26, 2014
Clinton,Iowa
So I had a 2 speed pump, installed 2 solar heaters and was getting hardly any flow out of the return. Talked to the local pool guy who sold me a one speed 1.5 horse pump. I have a cartridge filter and now the pump trips off due to water flow. I have hi pressure coming out now but it is too much. Pool guy wants me to buy a sand filter now but I am happy with my cartridge filter. Grrr Help.

We need more info in order to help you. Your pump isn't tripping off due to water flow.

What is your filter pressure when running on solar?
What is your filter pressure when not running on solar?

Why do you think your pump is tripping on flow?
Is it high or low flow?

Was that 3 psi when it was on low speed?

Those pressures sound about right to me. I don't believe it's tripping because of flow or pressure. In fact, the more pressure you have the less current the motor draws.

Is it tripping the breaker? If so, what size is the breaker, and is it 120 volt or 240 volt?

What was size, model, etc. of the old pump?

If the old one was a 2-speed 1½ hp and the new one is a single speed 1½ hp then it shouldn't trip the breaker. Those pumps should draw about the same amount of current on high. It could be a bad pump or a weak breaker.

How long does it run before it trips the breaker?
What amperage is the breaker?
Is the pump hard wired or plug-in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Either that or the new pump motor has a ground fault. A loose wire on the GFCI can sometimes cause that as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.