What a great forum to stumble upon. Thank you to all who give their time so freely to help others!
We have a brand new fiberglass pool and have been swimming for 2 months.
Two problems (possibly related) that I would appreciate advice on:
1) Post backwash pressure runs 18 psi with our 300 lb sand filter.
2) Pre backwash pressure hovers at 30 psi.
3) I backwash (rinse, backwash) for 2-3 minutes. The glass tube never displays dirty or murky water. The water coming out the backwash pipe is also relatively clear.
4) Pressure drops to 18 psi and skimmer suction and return jet pressure is great.
5) Within a few hours (1-2 hours) the pressure is back up to 26psi and within 12 hours it is back up to 30 psi again!
Second issue is cloudy water. The shallow end (3 feet) is 95% clear. The deep end (8 feet) is 5% clear. The water looks murky like there is sediment floating but samples in a glass jar don't reveal anything to the eye.
I have tried (over the course of a week) a whole bottle of clarifier which seemed to gather something in a clumpy, slimy floating configuration but was not effective enough to clear the water.
I have been running the filter 24/7 and notice a cluster of sand/grime (dissipates when I try and gather with a net but vacuums out ok) by two of the return jets.
I have a feeling the two issues are related.
I have ordered BioGuard Sparkle Up to add to my sand filter. Does this sound like a recommended course of action?
Taylor K-2006 test results:
Too low to detect (still saw black dot) CYA
Salt = 3800
I have been running SWG at 20% but have now increased to 40% to raise FC.
Will add Stabilizer to increase CYA.
Any input on the filter pressure and cloudy water would be greatly appreciated!