bdrums - new to pools

bdrums

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
Hey all. We're north of Houston in Spring and are in the process of talking to builders. I've lurked for a couple of weeks and decided to join. Looks like a great place.

This will be our first pool so we are starting essentially at ground zero. Eh. We did have a vinyl liner pool growing up. I vaguely remember vacuuming, brushing, shocking and tangling with spiders in the skimmer. Oh what a pain. Swore I would not own a pool. Heh, heh.

B

Thanks elwood58. I have spent some time there. At least enough to ask the PBs some intelligent sounding questions. Certainly need to spend more time there.

Our current leaning is Pebble Sheen, PCC2000, and traditional chlorine. This last piece is because all 4 builders we've talked to either do not install SWCGs or highly recommend against it. I was leaning away from SWCG anyway. This just made the decision that much easier.

We're waiting on designs and quotes from 3 and have one more initial meeting tomorrow.

Looks like if we decide to proceed this year, the earliest we'll have a functioning pool will be Oct/Nov. At least we'll be ready next Spring. And that's OK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Kim.

Haha! I'm sure. Fortunately for my wallet we have limited space and we don't want the pool to look out of place next to our house so that does keep things in check.

We've decided to keep the design very simple but buy top quality surfacing and cleaning.

but buy top quality surfacing and cleaning.

Along with the "top quality" finish and hardware, make sure you don't cheap-out when it comes to a testing kit. Spend the $$ and get a top-of-the-line kit like the K-2006 from Taylor or the TF-100 from tftestkits.com (which contains Taylor reagents). I like the K-2006 only because I like the color-coordinating bottles for each test. I had that kit before I knew about the tf100, and now I'm spoiled.

It is very empowering to be able to do your own water tests, and know that anything you put in your pool, is something that is needed-- instead of relying on the testing at a pool store whose best interest isn't your pool, but instead is their profits. You can't totally blame them, they are a business after all. But that doesn't mean you have to line their pockets, instead of your own. And have a safe, sanitized, algae-free, sparkling pool in the process.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support